Pizza Debate to go along wih Bagel thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which pizza do you prefer?

• New York thin crust

• Chicago deep dish

Results are only viewable after voting.
NY is the only place to get good pizza, even Italy doesn't have italian food as good as NYC.

New York Pizza? LOL. Yeah. Take a sheet of paper and add a little sauce an a hen's fart worth of ingredients. Don't forget to order 3 of them if you want leftovers because each large pizza serves one.

Pile mine up to the sky, that's what I say. You cut into that sucker and I wanna see a solid 4 inches of oozing cheese, tomatoes, sausage, pepperoni and garlic... hell yeah!!! And yeah, I want to taste bread on the pizza. Not lousy paper-thin wonderbread. I want a yeasty, sweet, thick and flavorful crust that you actually taste. And the ingredients? Did you listen? I said 4 inches high.

Paper thin new york pizza... pfft. Who are they kidding? They might as well put their toppings on a saltine. Like it's made for the Olsen twins. Pizza for anorexics. No thanks.

Baby, clear the fridge! I'm eating till I burst and I'm bringin home leftovers!!!

Chicago. The local "pizza" place does NY-style: crunchy, cracker-like crust; sauce sprayed on with an airbrush and no two shreds of cheese touching. The worst freezer pizza made is better than that.

By the way, I've had NY-style in NY, NY. Not impressed, impressed.

Chicago please... its delicious. I am planning to order some from Gino's East online soon; its delicious.

Chicago style is Lasagne.

Everyone knows that the best pizza is in Phoenix... Even the NY Times agrees

The Road to Pizza Nirvana Goes Through Phoenix
By ED LEVINE
''ALL we can do is put up smoke signals and hope somebody reads them,'' Chris Bianco was saying. ''That's all any of us can do. If the pizza guy is teaching you something, imagine what the smart people can do.''
Mr. Bianco, the chef and proprietor of Pizzeria Bianco here and the only pizzaiolo to win the best regional chef designation of the James Beard Foundation, was searching for words to describe what he does. He presented the pizza-making craft in terms a Zen master might appreciate.
''There's no mystery to my pizza,'' said Mr. Bianco, who won the Beard award last year. ''Sicilian oregano, organic flour, San Marzano tomatoes, purified water, mozzarella I learned to make at Mike's Deli in the Bronx, sea salt, fresh yeast cake and a little bit of yesterday's dough. In the end great pizza, like anything else, is all about balance. It's that simple.''
But how did a nice Italian boy from the Bronx, a soulful high school dropout with a penchant for self-reflection and a ferocious intellectual curiosity, end up making what just might be the best pizza in America in a city that by my count has more golf courses than pizzerias?
I posed that question, and a few others, as Mr. Bianco was in his usual place, making pizza in his restaurant in an old house in Heritage Square.
His menu is disarmingly simple: one starter (spiedini, which is cheese wrapped in prosciutto), an antipasto plate and two salads. One is a simple green salad, while the other consists of whatever goodies one of his local suppliers drops off at his back door. That night, it was composed of juicy tangerines with a perfect sweet and acid balance, paper-thin slices of fresh fennel, a splash of fruity olive oil and some Malden sea salt.
Then there are his pizzas. His crust is simultaneously thick and thin, puffy and crisp on the outside and softer and chewy on the inside, with hole structure like great bread. His mozzarella, which he and his staff make every morning, is creamy and slightly tart. The sauce tastes like the ripest tomatoes in concentrated form. His sausage tastes of fennel and pork, with just the right meat-to-fat ratio.
The Rosa, one of six pizzas, is made with red onion, Parmigiano-Reggiano, rosemary and Arizona pistachios, and is as multilayered and intense as Mr. Bianco himself. The Wiseguy pie has smoked mozzarella (he smokes it every morning in his wood-burning oven over pecan wood), roasted onions and fennel sausage.
My first bite of the Wiseguy melted in my mouth, as all great pizza does. The elements blended like a great jazz rhythm section.
''What I do is like a producer picking up the individual tracks of some unbelievable music,'' said Mr. Bianco, who often expresses himself in musical terms. ''It could be Miles or Mozart. All I do is take it back to the studio and remix it.''
Mr. Bianco lived in the Bronx until he was 6, when his family moved to Ossining, N.Y. His mother worked at Saks Fifth Avenue in bridal design, and his father was a portrait painter, who supported the family by designing wine and liquor labels. His father's paintings adorn the walls of the pizzeria and Bar Bianco, which are separated by a patch of grass and Mr. Bianco's herb garden. Pane Bianco, which serves four kinds of sandwiches a day on hot rolls baked in a wood-burning oven, is a couple of miles away.
Mr. Bianco had asthma as a child, forcing him to stay indoors and letting him spend hours watching his Aunt Margie cook. At 13, he was working at a local pizzeria and after the 11th grade, left school and went to work in restaurants. Cooking, he said, saved him.
''Most of my friends went one way, which turned out to be the wrong way,'' he said. ''I went another.''
In 1985, he won two plane tickets to anywhere in the United States, and he chose Phoenix. Why Phoenix? To this day, he does not know. Yet, he said, ''When I got here, somehow I felt connected to this place.''
He said he started making mozzarella in his apartment, selling it to Italian restaurants at their back doors. Eventually, a specialty grocer in Phoenix, Guy Coscos, offered him a corner of his store to put in a wood-burning oven and make and sell pizzas. Pizza became Mr. Bianco's obsession: ''I thought to myself that maybe I could make a living out of it.''
A move to Sante Fe, N.M., in 1989 put him in the world of Deborah Madison, the vegetarian cookbook writer, and her sous-chef, David Tanis. ''Their whole thing was about food and what made it special,'' he said.''
At the same time, he found himself in the forefront of the American food revolution, which placed a premium on tradition, localism and craftsmanship. Finally, he was able to draw on his childhood experiences.
''At last I had something to offer from my past, a reverence for what my family had,'' he said. ''I realized that what I had, what was in me, was something of value.''
Armed with newfound confidence and a renewed sense of purpose, he opened Pizza Bianco in 1994.
Ten years on, pizza is still fraught with meaning, cosmic and otherwise, for Mr. Bianco. ''I have invented nothing,'' he said. ''I'm just trying to do something, one small thing right. I'm on a mission, I have a responsibility, to do something with integrity and dignity.
''My menu might be small, but to me, it's the biggest thing in the world. Pizza inspires me, fascinates me and gives me hope.''

New York Pizza? LOL. Yeah. Take a sheet of paper and add a little sauce an a hen's fart worth of ingredients. Don't forget to order 3 of them if you want leftovers because each large pizza serves one.

Pile mine up to the sky, that's what I say. You cut into that sucker and I wanna see a solid 4 inches of oozing cheese, tomatoes, sausage, pepperoni and garlic... hell yeah!!! And yeah, I want to taste bread on the pizza. Not lousy paper-thin wonderbread. I want a yeasty, sweet, thick and flavorful crust that you actually taste. And the ingredients? Did you listen? I said 4 inches high.

Paper thin new york pizza... pfft. Who are they kidding? They might as well put their toppings on a saltine. Like it's made for the Olsen twins. Pizza for anorexics. No thanks.

Baby, clear the fridge! I'm eating till I burst and I'm bringin home leftovers!!!

Wow, just wow. :mug:

I loves the big, deep-dishers, but I make thin-crust zah on my BGE and it's freakin' awesome.

I just need to figure out how to make deep-dish on the egg and order will be restored.

my vote made it even up 17 all:ban:

i love the deep dish chicago style but also know that there is a place for the pizza stick style( ball games, drunken stupors, etc,,,,:drunk:)

I enjoy a thin crust pizza every once in a while.... but isn't that when it's an appetizer? Actually, if I'm not that hungry I'll go thin but I'm rarely not very hungry.

Chicago style is not even pizza, it's a casserole or as olllllo said lasagna. Thin crust all the way but without mozzarella because Provel or Provolone is the only cheese to have on your pizza. :rockin:

Saying that you had bad NY style thincrust IN Manhattan doesn't lend any credibility whatsoever to the debate because there are probably 300 pizza joints on the island and not all of them can be great. It's like saying every restaurant in Hong Kong makes great Chinese food.

That said, I like both. I eat about half thincrust from the local pizzeria. They get pretty close to perfect but I like to throw the slices on a super hot frying pan for 2 minutes to re crisp the crust. The other half of the time I get deepdish from Pizzerio UNO.

Thin Crust, Hands down. And, sorry to burst the NY bubble, but the true home of thin crust Napoletana pizza is Wooster St. here in New Haven. Pepe's and Sally's started it all.

Actually the home of the thin crust is in Italy. Chicago style isn't true pizza but is a truly great recipe in a league of its own .... damn I am getting hungry for either thin crust or deep dish.

Pepes simply rocks and I lived in Manhattan for 15 years. They have some great places in NYC if you know where to look but a lot of the old school places are not there anymore:mad:

I assumed it would be a Chicago style runaway. How do a bunch of beer lovers not want the thick good crust. I mean bread is just solid beer, thin crust is like BMC.

About 50/50 so far. I enjoy both myself, but NY style #1. Can't get any decent pizza in NM, but while traveling have found a few great places. Greasy Tony's in AZ, Old Chicago in CO, TX, Edison Pizza in NJ(Local :rockin:"...

Neither, Detroit-style! Incidentally, no-one here actually calls it Detroit-style, but it's superior to both New York and Chicago styles.

How about some Domino's then? I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Detroit-Style crap!

New York, thin crust. No contest, none. Furthermore, a truly proper pie doesn't require anything beyond the perfect balance of crust, sauce and cheese with some red pepper flakes sprinkled on. Still, I won't complain if you put sausage, peppers, olives and thin sliced mushrooms on mine.

Just say no to pizza flavored bread pudding.

New York thin crust all the way! And you fold the slice lengthwise when eating.

Best NY Style pizza on the west coast is Escape from New York Pizza on NW 23rd Ave in Portland IMHO. I started going to their original location on SW Alder downtown 30 years ago.

Chicago Style Pizza...yech!

And when in New York, do yourself a favor and head over to John's in Greenwich Village

New York thin crust all the way! And you fold the slice lengthwise when eating.

Best NY Style pizza on the west coast is Escape from New York Pizza on NW 23rd Ave in Portland IMHO. I started going to their original location on SW Alder downtown 30 years ago.

Chicago Style Pizza...yech!

And when in New York, do yourself a favor and head over to John's in Greenwich Village

Great poll!

I have never been able to answer this question. I love both styles, and eat each regularly. It really depends on my mood. Some days, I'll crave a thin New York style pizza that I can fold in half and eat 8 slices. On other days, I'll take a thick, delicious Chicago pizza that I can eat with a fork, if I need to (depending on how thick it is).

It's like deciding between porters and pale ales. In the end... they're both beer.... so they're both good!

Thin crust? bah! It's a cracker! Gimmie the thick crust and lots of sauce and cheese mmmm.... I know I'll get crap for this, but my favoritest pizza in the world is a deep dish pepperoni lovers Pizza Hut pizza. Even better the next morning straight out of the fridge.

Neither for me! I like a thick Scicilian pizza (there's great pizza on Federal Hill in Providence) with it's 1" thick crust and yummy sauce and toppings. Mmmmm.

Thin crust? bah! It's a cracker! Gimmie the thick crust and lots of sauce and cheese mmmm.... I know I'll get crap for this, but my favoritest pizza in the world is a deep dish pepperoni lovers Pizza Hut pizza. Even better the next morning straight out of the fridge.

Or, if you really want it at it's best, straight out of the box, which has been left out on the kitchen bench overnight.

Make mine unltra thin, cripsy crust. I may be less food, and therefore not as good "Value for money" as a thick crust, but then again, I prefer QUALITY to quantity, and am happy to get less food for the same amount of money, if it's better food.

How do a bunch of beer lovers not want the thick good crust. I mean bread is just solid beer, thin crust is like BMC.

Chicago Style is not thick crust it is deep dish. Have you ever seen a deep dish pie? The crust isn't all that thick it simply has a tall outer crust that allows it to be loaded with stuff, thus making it deep. You want lots of bread? eat a sicilian pizza, that is thick crust.

Sicilian pizza exhibit a:

2euhe1g.jpg

and calling thin crust the BMC of pizza? You have proven that you have no taste. :cross:

Original Wheat, thank you very much.

Thin crust is like eating crispy cardboard and deep dish is like eating a soggy bread bowl.

I like UNO's crust sometimes, so I guess Chicago. But honestly, the BEST pizza I've ever had is in between deep-dish and NY-style. The crust is soooooo good, the sauce is the best, and the cheese is a'flowing. And it's only made in 2 counties in MD - Pizza Hotline! Happy to support a local business.

Back