Hey everyone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhardy3

Reaction score
I just want to say this site has helped me alot so far. One question I have I tried out my first wine and the taste was almost like grape juice with a slight yeast and alcohol flavor. It has been fermenting for about two weeks now and I'm just wondering if this is normal flavor for unaged air and if I let it age will it taste better in six months or so? Thank you for any help!

yep, that is exactly what it should taste like. You shouldn't be opening your carboy up to taste though because at 2 weeks you really don't want oxygen to get to the wine.

Wine does take lots of time. Ideally, I'd let my reds sit for 6+ months before I drank any, but that's hard to do when it's so delicious. I have a great brew pipeline, need to work on the wine pipeline.

Yea this was my first attempt at making wine and i just made it from juice so I feel I need to experiment more before I start aging them.

I know it is hard for the first time wine maker to not want to taste his/her wine but you really need to just walk away from the carboy and let nature take its course. Exposing the wine to too much oxygen is bad for it.

Back