Special Roast: Is it sweet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyboFlav

Reaction score
I got a bunch of special roast and I am trying to decide what to use it in. From what I have read, it is bready with a sourdough like quality to it. The question is, does it leave any residual sweetness, or just toasty/bready flavours?

I just made a beer where I used quite a bit of this malt.

9lbs English 2 row
2lbs Special Roast

1oz UK WGV at 60
1oz UK WGV at 15
1oz UK WGV at 5

Mashed at 153

Fermented at 65 with WLP 008, the East Coast Ale yeast which also supposedly adds "tangy" flavors.

My goal with this was to make a beer that tasted kind of like sourdough bread. The nose on this beer is slightly sweet, maybe a touch fruity, but the flavor is good crusty tangy bread. I'd like to make it again with a different hop, but I'm tremendously happy with it as is. So that was a long answer to your question. Basically more toasty/crackers, slightly less fruity.

I would say it doesn't add any sweetness to a beer at all- all of the toasted malts (biscuit/victory especially) add a sort of crackery dryness in my experience, special roast to a lesser degree. I'm actually going to bump up the crystal in my ordinary bitter to compensate.

I think it adds a very slight sweetness, from use in IPAs with no crystal there was a little sweetness to them. If you are looking for more sweetness plus the *bread flavors try extra special malt.

*Edit

I think it adds a very slight sweetness, from use in IPAs with no crystal there was a little sweetness to them. If you are looking for more sweetness plus the breast flavors try extra special malt.

MMMMMMMM. Breast flavors. MMMMMM.

I thought about gathering breast flavors from googling once too, but decided it wasn't worth the jailtime...

Back