10 gallon batch w/ 5 gallon cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farny

Reaction score
I'd like to make 10 gallons of the same ingredients beer. I was wondering if I could do 1 mash then run it all out as a normal 5 gallon batch, then cover up my kettle and mash another 5 gallon batch and add it to the kettle then continue like a 10 gallon batch. I have a keggle and 2 carboys. Enough to handle 10 gallons I assume.

I can't think of a reason this wouldn't work I just want to get second opinions before I carry through. I realize the simplicity of getting a 10 gallon cooler. Its in the works just not yet.

Thanks

Wellll would it make more sense for you to boil the first 5 gallons while mashing the 2nd 5 gallons? Like just doing 2 x 5 gallon batches instead of 1 x 10 gallon batch?

I haven't let wort sit for too long, but, I'd think you'd be ok letting it sit for an hour + as it WILL be boiled anyway. Could be an opportunity to check out first wort hopping too!

I usually do a 7-8 gallon mash and boil 12 gallons of wort for a 10 gallon brew. If you are aiming for as low SG it is probably possible... I dont think you will get away with an imperial porter or anything like that..... sometimes I brew a small (1.040) wheat by stuffing the mash tun as full as it will go and boiling the ten gallons of strong wort (1.060) and diluting to 15 gallons later...

Back