Amstel Light Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Well, the wife has me on a diet. It's really not too bad (WeightWatchers), but if I stick to this it will put a big crimp in my homebrew consumption.

Has anyone ever made any lower calorie beers? Something along the lines of Amstel Light, perhaps?

I am an avocate of low carb diets. With those you can literally have all the carories you want. So, low carb beer is the way to go. Also avoid the artificial sweetener, Nutrasweet. I saw a program where that keeps people from losing weight.

A modified Atkins type diet works good. I lost weight a few years ago with that one. My cholesterol and blood pressure went down. And you get to eat all the meat and dairy you want. The principle being everything you thought was bad for you is good. So effective for me that I lost 20 pounds in only three and a half weeks, and kept it off 5 years later. Tricky thing was making sandwiches without the bread.

BTW, rum is 0 carbs, it's the mixer that raises the carbs. In beer, rice and wheat contain more carbs than barley. Potatoes and breads are a couple high carb things to avoid. And an apple a day is half your carb allotment.

I've often wondered about low-carb diets, but for now I'm going another route. I lost about 30 lbs. 3 years ago using WeightWatchers points plan and basically by eating a high fiber, diet with more fruits and veggies and less meat.

I've gained back about 10 lbs. now, though, and have decided it's time to get back on track to try to lose it again.

I found out that Miller Lite has only 2 points (which is pretty good-- at my current weight I can eat 28 points a day), but good as it is, I like other beers better.

mmditter said:
Well, the wife has me on a diet. It's really not too bad (WeightWatchers), but if I stick to this it will put a big crimp in my homebrew consumption.

Has anyone ever made any lower calorie beers? Something along the lines of Amstel Light, perhaps?
I don't know about low calorie beer, but here's an interesting article on Lo-Carb Beer.

Re Amstel Light: Never Mind. I just tried some this afternoon. It kinda sucked next to my homebrew. I guess if I want to lose weight I will either have to 1. drink less beer or 2. eat less. Given those choices I think I will eat less.

Re: Amstel Light. Never mind.

I just tried some today. It kinda sucked compared with my homebrew. I guess if I want to lose weight I will just have to eat less. That way I can drink more homebrew.

They are sort of heavy, aren't they. I suppose I could try walking to my local homebrew supply dealer instead of driving. Although if I buy more carboys there it could be difficult to carry them home.

Back