What to do with 2 oz of Amarillo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louie0202

Reaction score
I have 2 oz of Amarillo and most other hops laying around, what should I do with the Amarillo...thinking more along the lines of a recipe would be the best thing to give me :p

an ipa man! i looooove them in my ipa's. one of the best flavor aroma hops i have ever used. *ONLY use them for flavor and aroma. Use them as the "star" of your hop schedule (15 - 0) and you wont regret it.

an ipa man! i looooove them in my ipa's. one of the best flavor aroma hops i have ever used. *ONLY use them for flavor and aroma. Use them as the "star" of your hop schedule (10 and 0) and you wont regret it.

+1. magnum bittering, amarillo for the rest

2oz isn't much so I would say do a pale ale, bitter with something like magnum / ctz / or chinook, then use the amarillo (and maybe a third hop like citra, simcoe, centennial, etc) for finishing.

Yea I am going to need to scour some more recipes...I have a bunch of Centennial, Saaz, US Golding, and other stuff at the house....or I will need to find some more Amarillo..

I like Hop Juice Black from the round house, wouldn't mind making a Black IPA

I made an IPA with a bunch of hops leftover from previous brews. I also re-used yeast from our Big Brew Day batch. It's still in the fermenter so I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I named it Sloppy Seconds IPA because of the 2nd time around theme.

Oh, I LOVE amarillo hops!

How about a "clean" APA, with amarillo for flavor and aroma hops?

I'd do this:

Target IBUs around 40 IBUs
OG 1.050-1.052

10 pounds two-row
.75 pound crystal 40L
.25 pound victory or toasted malt

.50 ounce magnum (or centennial, chinook, whatever) 60 minutes (or to 25-30 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes
(or .75 oz amarillo 15 minutes, .75 oz at 5 minutes, .5 oz at flame out or dryhopping)

That should be like a tastier SNPA, sort of.

.50 ounce magnum (or centennial, chinook, whatever) 60 minutes (or to 25-30 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes
(or .75 oz amarillo 15 minutes, .75 oz at 5 minutes, .5 oz at flame out or dryhopping)

+1 for this recipe. I like the 2nd hop-option. Personally, I'd save a full oz for dry hop, then do .5 oz at 10mins and .5 oz at 5mins or even a 150° hopstand....won't be quite as balanced as Yooper's recipe, but more hop showcase.

Eat it!!! Naw, but for real? Late additions on an APA sounds good to me. :rockin:

Haha, that was my first thought too. Then I remember what raw hops taste like. Pretty good actually. But those AAs burn.

Haha, yeah I don't think anyone got my obscure Family Guy reference but oh well. At least I laughed at myself.

Speaking of Amarillo, I have 4 oz in my freezer that I should do something with. It's sitting right next to 4 oz each of Citra and Simcoe. I smell an IPA coming.

Haha, yeah I don't think anyone got my obscure Family Guy reference but oh well. At least I laughed at myself.

Speaking of Amarillo, I have 4 oz in my freezer that I should go something with. It's sitting right next to 4 oz each of Citra and Simcoe. I smell an IPA coming.

I have to be honest that my first though was send it to me. I love Amarillo. I put it in practically every single hoppy beer I make.

I heard a Basic Brewing Radio podcast years ago where they talked about a recipe with only 2 oz. of Amarillo...

10 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. Crystal 60L
1 oz. Amarillo - 60 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo - 15 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo - 5 min. (or flameout - can't remember exactly)
I think he used Wyeast 1056. Anyway, I've tried this recipe and it was good.

Yea I am going to need to scour some more recipes...I have a bunch of Centennial, Saaz, US Golding, and other stuff at the house....or I will need to find some more Amarillo..

I like Hop Juice Black from the round house, wouldn't mind making a Black IPA

Amarillo and Citra are the two hops they use in that beer, so that's a route to look at. But with the small amount you have, you couldn't really do a clone on Hop Juice because it's just too big. But you can get a smaller IPA or a nice clean APA out of it.

I think I will try Yoopers APA....I made up a recipe for Dark IPA with 10%...but I would need a lot more hops....but I need to do a hop inventory tonight....we will see what I find..

Just glad I figured out my biggest issue which is my pot thermometer was broke and I kept on scorching my Grain during the Mash.

Back