Is it possible to back-sweeten AND bottle-carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottedk

Reaction score
Is it possible to back-sweeten AND bottle-carbonate the same batch (asking because it seems like the only way to back-sweeten is to kill off the yeast and then add sugar...and then if there isn't any yeast then there won't be any carbonation)?

Yes but you have to back sweeten with a non fermentable sugar like lactose or maltodextrin.

You must filter down to 0.2um, or 0.45um then you could use honey or juices or other fermentable sugars. If not bottle bombs are very likely. If you can't filter to 0.2um then use non fermentable sugars. I just tasted my Perry(a mead) that was back sweetened with 1gal of pear juice to 6gal of fermented honey then carbonated to 45psi for 6 months at 42F. After a year in corked champagne bottels I still wish it was a little more carbonated.

kiwibrew said:
see the sticky on stovetop pastuerization

This.

There are several ways to do this. Backsweeten with sugar and pasteurize after its at proper carb level. Or, backsweeten with a non fermenting sweetener and prime with sugar before bottling.

Is it possible to back-sweeten AND bottle-carbonate the same batch
Yes. This is what I do. It works for me. The only bottle bomb I have had was due to a bad bottle, and that blew during stovetop pasteurisation.

First, get yourself one or two (preferably) plastic 16 ounce screw top beer/pop bottles. In a pinch, Pepsi / Coke bottles will work. These will be the first and last bottles you will fill.

On bottling day, transfer your cider to your bottling bucket. slowly stir in thawed cans of Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate, to your taste. I usually use 5 on a 5 - 6 gallon batch.

Now fill your bottles. Fill one plastic one first, then cap it tightly and put it aside. When you are getting towards the end of bottling, fill the 2nd plastic bottle, cap, and set aside.

Now, squeeze the plastic bottles. Feel the give? Over the next few days, they will get firmer. when they feel like an unopened pop bottle (5 - 7 days) it is time to stove top pasteurize the batch. DO NOT pasteurize the plastic bottles, drink them instead. :mug:

Thanks everyone! I read that pasteurization thread recently but I didn't put 2 and 2 together that it could be used to help with carbonation.

add sugar and bottle
keep trying some every day
when carbed enough and still sweet pasteurize

but how much sugar for the appropriate sweetness?

Add sugar til it's how you like it. For ciders, I usually go 1 cup per gallon -or until the SWMBO says it's good to go. It's not really important to get a general gravity reading, just as long as it's to your liking. Always add in small increments - it's much easier to add a little more sugar than, well, you know.

Anyway - Papper's sticky explains the rest. Check carb every so often, etc.

Back