Using beer yeast to make bread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People use the spent grain from AG brewing to make bread with. That would probably give you more of a "beery" bread than beer yeast, although you might get a different taste profile from beer yeast as compared to bread.

Ah, those wacky basic brewing guys. Sounds like beer yeast will make tasty bread, but I think he should have made two loaves, using the same recipe, one with regular bread yeast and one with beer yeast and compared them side by side. Then we would know how the beer yeast effects the flavour of the bread. Looks like I have some experimenting to do. Thanks for the video Revvy.

I think they probably used a bit less, and at a certain point you are adding by hand to get a consistency you like.

Jeff is a fantastic cider maker and beermaker as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he factors in the flour "as needed" since from his seminar on making cider that what it sounds like he does to make award winning cider.

Making no knead bread has been on my to-do list for a while. I'll have more info once I get to try it.

Ah..I see, he uses 3/4 cups of spent grains and decreased the amount of flour in the original recipe to compensate. I would probably run the spent grain through the food processor a bit, just to make it a little finer, what do you think?
I also like the idea of adding some of the beer that was made from the spent grains as well. Good stuff, I knew I'd get some great ideas from you guys.

Latest posts

Back