Primed 3/4 corn sugar in secondary, bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icon578

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time brewer with a big time problem!

I decided to make a summer Witbier for my first brew and everything went very smoothly.. Up until today when I accidentally added 3/4cup corn sugar into secondary. I take it that was a mistake and the corn sugar should have been used for bottling. What are the consequences? And the necessary steps to save the brew?

Thanks in advance

no consequences. it will have slightly more alcohol. let it finish fermenting, then condition and then bottle with new priming sugar.

Haha it is fine! Take a deep breath and relax!

The sugar will be fermented out by the yeast. It will give you a little boost in alcohol, and maybe dry the beer out a wee bit, but it will be fine! It will actually help protect your beer by ensuring the renewed fermentation keeps a protective blanket of C02 over your beer while it ages.

If you can't get more corn sugar for bottling, then look up how much table sugar to use to prime on HowtoBrew.com!

If I have a recipe that has any simple sugars, I'll usually wait 3 or 4 days before adding it to the fermenter.

I usually add an ounce of sugar whenever I rack onto gelatin (gets the gelatin mixed and creates a CO2 blanket ....... makes me feel better anyway).

When adding fruit to a secondary; basically all you are doing is adding extra simple sugars for the yeast.

It's no problem.

Well I feel relieved! I thought I did irreversible damage, for my first time brewing experience Im happy that this was my only mistake (so far)! Thanks guys for the replies!

Back