education in brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XELA

Reaction score
i did google serch this a couple of times and didnt find anythin

is there such thing as a degree in brewing? as in going to uni to learn to brew

my dad keeps tellin me i should get a degree in brewing but i dno what he is on about

:confused:

thanks

I believe there are brewing schools in the States, but I don't know where they are. A lot of brewers start as chemistry majors. Give Google a shot.

i was thinkin more like in the uk? but im sure there isnt anywhere.. which is stupid as brewing is an art form far as im concerned

also was wanting to ask what kind of qualifications would be needed to work in a brewery and what the job would involve

thanks

Find a local brewery & ask. Just about every brewer I've talked to started by cleaning up & doing heavy lifting.

However, if you don't think science is involved in brewing, plan on a big shock. After the first batch, it's all science.

there is only one brewery near me and thats in burton, i think its now owned by coors? ill try to contact them with some questions

cleaning up & doing heavy lifting if good enough for me

i love the smell so id enjoy work! :D

A degree in Micro-biology, would be a good start. I know thats what our old brewer had at the micro brewery i worked at.

Ive been thinking about trying the "apprentence" thing . . . finding a small local brewery and just voluntere if they cant afford to hire me on as anything, then again I'm not a big believer in college and believe way way way to many peole go to college when they would be better erved learning the buisness from the inside.
Everytime I see one of my old friends with a business degree as a salesman or manager of "The Gap" it makes me laugh until I pee myself

Siebel institute offers a variety of degrees and they are in multiple locations I think.
They also offer once a year a intensive homebrewers course for a week.

UC Davis offers a brewing degree and several wine degrees.

Europe is full of them, Germany being one of the most intensive. Some of them go for something like 8 years.

XELA said:
i was thinkin more like in the uk? but im sure there isnt anywhere.. which is stupid as brewing is an art form far as im concerned

also was wanting to ask what kind of qualifications would be needed to work in a brewery and what the job would involve

thanks

I'd talk to UCAS. Speak to one of their advisers and say what you want to do with the course, and see what they can suggest. Or speak to your careers adviser. I'm assuming you're in 6th form now, so head to your careers office and see if they can get you work placement or shadowing in a brewery - they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Aelfwyn said:
I'd talk to UCAS. Speak to one of their advisers and say what you want to do with the course, and see what they can suggest. Or speak to your careers adviser. I'm assuming you're in 6th form now, so head to your careers office and see if they can get you work placement or shadowing in a brewery - they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

yea i recon thats a good idea, but i think i would have to have some knowlage of biology to get in!

Pumbaa said:
Ive been thinking about trying the "apprentence" thing . . . finding a small local brewery and just voluntere if they cant afford to hire me on as anything,

also a good idea, being paid to learn and work in a mirco brewery would be amazing

:D

I searched for the Seibel institute and found their homebrewing course, click here if interested: http://www.siebel-institute.com/course_desc/homebrewing.html

EDIT: tuition is $1,600.

This part in particular :"A number of evening field trips will provide ample opportunity to taste the excellent local brews and interact with the professional brewers, further rounding out the program."

Sounds like and all encompassing program.

Im not sure where abouts, but i know there is a really good school for brewing in Vermont. Pretty expensive though.

Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh offers a Master of Science degree in Brewing and Distilling. The program can be completed via distance learning over the internet. You need a Bachelor's Degree to apply.

depends on what you want to do really. You can apprentice at a small micro. You can work as a brewer with any certification and work your way up to head brewer. You can go work for the big boys dealing with strictly chemistry.

figure out what you want. brewers right now are starting off at around 16-17 bucks an hour on average. The more experience/schooling you have, the more you make....just like everything else

Back