Is all SS in a MLT worth $31??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I'm about to order some stuff for a MLT with a false bottom/ball valve and it will be $31 extra for all stainless fitting over the brass. Do you guys think its worth the extra cost, at this point I'm trying not to skimp on stuff but I'm not sure if this really matters. I have read about people pickling brass but wonder if its really needed or if its just tor piece of mind.

I don't have an ounce of stainless steel in my MLT and things seem to be going just fine. Mine is all brass and copper. I haven't grown any extra appendages or fallen ill with some unknown malady. I'll end my snarkiness, but you can just "pickle" the brass if you are worried much about it.

Brass is very safe. It's not AS safe as stainless, but both are still very safe, which is all that matters. Personally, I like brass because it is very inexpensive and does exactly the same job that stainless will do. Personally, I think the only significant difference is cosmetic.

Brass is just fine. I would suggest pickling it.

Stainless is awesome and I have a hard core addiction to it, but it is not necessary at our level. I think unless you have an all stainless system or want to have one one day, you might as well go all brass. Having some things brass and some things SS never made sense to me.

Brass and copper are just fine for intermittent use (homebrew).
Personally as a sax player who plays on more than one brass mouthpiece where the plating has worn - I don't really see any problem with it.
(did I mention that I used to play with lead and one occasion mercury as a teenager?)

Latest posts

Back