Storing hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the homebrewing thing and am still using extracts and hop pellets and such, but I took advantage of an opportunity and got a bunch of hops off of the bush from a friend who was moving. I don't really know what variety they are. Anywho, I'm sure I'll make use of them :) but I don't really know what to do with them... is there a good way to store picked hops in order to preserve their flavor?

Thanks,
Scott

Well first you will have to dry them. Look up hop drying in the search function. Then, if you have a food vacuum sealer put them in the vacuum bag and seal it and then toss them in the freezer. You can keep hops pretty "fresh" for quite a few months this way.

:tank:

Dry them and keep them away from light, warm temperatures, and oxygen. Along with time (use them soon), these are the killers of hops. I plan on my hops (when I get a good harvest) being usable until the next harvest if I vaccum seal them and freeze immediately after drying.

So I dried them out by putting them in my strainer and putting it in front of the air conditioner. I read in that link that was posted that they should smell when they're dried. They do not, but when I squeeze them just a tiny bit they definitely smell, and the smell lingers on my fingers like after I chopped an onion. Are these still usable? When would be the right time to go get more (I'm sure I can go back and get some more). From my internet research, it seems like right now is the normal harvest time.

Latest posts

Back