dry hopping/ secondary ferm. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a batch of double IPA sitting in secondary dry-hopping (its been in 6 days). The recipe calls for 7-10 days of dry hopping, but i've noticed a lot of people talking about leaving their brew in secondary for 3 weeks or more. I know its probably not going to harm the beer leaving it in longer, but will 10 days be sufficient to get the goodness out of the hops?

Yes, the hops will have given up all of their goodness by then, anyway. I usually will dryhop for a 5-7 days or so. Too long can cause a "grassy" flavor, I've heard, but it's never happened to me yet.

Also, you do not have to add the dry hops at the same time you rack to a secondary. You can wait until you are seven days or so out from bottling or kegging day and then add the hops. I just added some dry hops to a batch that has been in the secondary for a while. I'll let them sit in there for a week before I cold crash the batch for a couple days and then keg.

TL

I toss them in the keg the last week of conditioning and leave tehm there untill the keg is empty. hops are in the beer for a total of 14-18 days. I never noticed a grassy taste and the flavors really seem to meld after 10. I do this mostly with IPAs maybe thats why I discern no grassy flavor.

I've both dry hopped in secondary and in the keg. I prefer to dry hop in the keg in a little grain ball directly from secondary and then condition for 3 weeks or so before putting on tap. Like beerthirty I leave the hops in until the last beer has been poured.

To each his own

Latest posts

Back