Why did this start fermenting now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreoman64

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post and my first home brew, I am makeing a german weiss (from a kit) and I let it ferment for alittle over 1 week. then I split it into 2 buckets and put bannanas in 1 and did nothing to the other, I let this sit for a week and a half. I checked and there was no fermenation activeity so tonight i deceided to bottle. Well when i moved the buckets to my kitchen they started fermenting like crazy (no temp. difference from where they were). why is it doing this and is it ok to continue to bottle?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#1 Welcome...go introduce yourself.
#2 Do you have a hydrometer? If not you'll need one. Before You Brew Again.
#3 Chances are you are not seeing fermentation...You are seeing Co2 escaping from solution because you are agitating your beer by moving it. Fermentation should be complete, but the only true measure of that is a hydrometer reading....actually 2 of them showing a steady reading a few days apart.

Give it about 2 or 3 weeks in bottles....I'll bet its good stuff.

I do have a hydrometer but unfortunately I forgot to take a OG reading (first brew and all) so now im stuck with sanitized equipment and the question of do i bottle or not

Back