7 Gallon aluminum tukey pot - all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutNoDoubt

Reaction score
As per the subject line, can I get away with boiling an all-grain batch of wort with a 7 gallon pot if I monitor the boil for any potential boil overs?

That is what I use. Would I like a bigger pot? Yes. If I had to do it over again would I get a bigger pot? Yes. I have brewed with it for years though. If the 7 gallon pot was a real issue, I could justify springing for a new bigger one, but I can't. I brew 5 gallon batches, it works for my setup.

Ok cool. I figured that as long as I had control of the flame I could just reduce temp when doing the hop additions since the liquid would be fairly close to the rim of the pot. It's just a 7 gallon turkey aluminum pot but figured it could work. Thanks for the reply!

Do it all the time. Get a spray bottle of filtered water, watch it especially when coming to a boil as well as when adding hops. With a little technique, after many many batches boiled over, I rarely have this issue any more, and I do a very vigorous boil.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm very anxious to do my first all-grain brew. Just need to get my propane filled and buy some grains and hops. I really want to do an oatmeal stout. Even for my extract brews I was using a five gallon pot while boiling 4 gallons of wort in it and found reducing the burner flame when doing hop additions worked well to prevent a boil over.

Ok, so I did my first all-grain with the 7 gallon turkey pot and I only had a couple of panic attack moments lol. The wort was reeeeaaaally close to the lip once it started foaming up. It was all good after the hot break but I had to babysit it the whole time. The pot will suffice for now but I will upgrade to a bigger one in the near future.

Back