The WLP200 Crime Scene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkHeDo

Reaction score
Only my second time using a starter...makes for very horny, hungry yeast! I am now a believer.

65921_10200101357469294_1133571660_n.jpg

*fixes glasses* yeast is asexual, they do not have sex to replicate.

Shart Ale. BrownTown Sharter. Shart Lake Ale. Shall I go on?

You know this has me wondering... When do you guys use tubes instead of air locks? I've never had to yet. Are there particular kinds of brews that tend to be too active?

half_whit said:
You know this has me wondering... When do you guys use tubes instead of air locks? I've never had to yet. Are there particular kinds of brews that tend to be too active?

I use a blowoff tube for all of my brews until the secondary (or until the krausen recedes if you're not using a secondary). Better safe than sorry for me. I like the peace of mind.

***Running to put blowoff on my brew!!***

I just dumped 2 vials of WLP200 into my brew that I made today. Didnt think I would need a blowoff, but Ill put one on since I wont be home tomorrow. Didnt have a chance to make astarter, but I hope fermentation takes off soon!!

Having a healthy, good sized starter will get me the most activity. Using yeast nutrient and energizer has also improved activity but is not always necessary. Different strains will be more vigorous than others, ant the gravity and temperature of the wort will have an impact on aggressiveness. I would not call it "too active," but rather more active. If a yeast is within its operating temperature with a healthy pitch rate, fervently active fermentation is a good thing.

Some Whitelabs yeast are extremely active and require a blow-off setup or else your airlock is going to blow (like pictured)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use a blow off for any batch over 5 gallons. When I do a 3 gallon batch I have enough head space to contain just about any high krausen. Use a blow off tube for the first few days or until krausen has dropped. Nothing wrong with leaving the blow off assembly in place until you rack for packaging.

I use a blowoff tube for all of my brews until the secondary (or until the krausen recedes if you're not using a secondary). Better safe than sorry for me. I like the peace of mind.

I do the same. Then there was a brew a few years ago when I got lazy and didn't use the tube. Had a blowoff that involved beer on the ceiling and a very unhappy SWMBO. I'm back to always using a blowoff tube.

hey be happy you have that contained. that happened with my very first brew (oatmeal stout) but i had just put it in an unused closet with wood floors unfortunately, took weeks to get all the smells out.

for the record i always use a blow off valve for the first 4 days while fermenting just in case.

So this ******* named Tony was my roomate once... long time ago, in college. He was from Europe (no deodorant, eeew) and called home often. The home phone bill was in my name. So a few months before the lease was up and I was moving out, he decided to pretend he was me and set up a special long distance account with the phone company. This ended up costing me like 400$.
Money that a poor college kid didn't have. I called him on it and he denied it, even after i had him listed to the voice mail box that was setup with HIS voice using HIS name.

So before I left, I took the crisper drawer and placed some love from my bowels in it. Then reinstalled his vegetables and the drawer.

Oh I did some other stuff too ;)

Friken ******

So this ******* named Tony was my roomate once... long time ago, in college. He was from Europe (no deodorant, eeew) and called home often. The home phone bill was in my name. So a few months before the lease was up and I was moving out, he decided to pretend he was me and set up a special long distance account with the phone company. This ended up costing me like 400$.
Money that a poor college kid didn't have. I called him on it and he denied it, even after i had him listed to the voice mail box that was setup with HIS voice using HIS name.

So before I left, I took the crisper drawer and placed some love from my bowels in it. Then reinstalled his vegetables and the drawer.

Friken ******

Did you give him an "Upper Decker"??

Yowza! Bet he didn't see that coming...probably smelled it though...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Friken ******

You're one sick F*ck! LoL But I like your style! Muahahahahahaha The toothbrush thing is priceless! I took a dump on my kid brothers toothbrush once and told him it was chocolate toothpaste.. Of course being like 5, he believed it. LOL

Back