Alcohal content decreases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunaquar

Reaction score
I took first reading for my mead , it was
Potential alcohol by weight : 5%, Specific gravity. : 1.042, Percent sugar. : 10%
Now it's alcohol : 6%, sp : 1.046, Sugar 12%.
I thought it should be other way round. I tasted the wine, it was sweet n little sour. Help!!!!!!!

There was no mold and it tasted fine. Should I be worried? It's been 10 days. It's only honey and water.

Ignore all the scales on the hydrometer except the SG scale. Depending on how much honey you used, in the total volume size, it might not have been completely in solution when you took the first gravity sample. Depending on how long it's been going will determine more things.

What honey and yeast did you add/use in this? If it has a sour flavor to it, you probably have an infection

IF you really want to make mead, and not just jerk around at it, look at the info on the Got Mead? forums.

I used wild flower honey without any yeast.

:smack:

To be blunt... ******* move. Without yeast at best you picked up a wild strain at worst an infection. With your comment about a sour flavor, 99% chance you got an infection there.

IF you really want to make mead, and not just dick around, wasting honey, check the threads on the Got Mead? forums. Otherwise, don't waste your money on the honey.

I used 1 to 6 ratio with water. I think the little sour might be because of the bacteria that converted the alcohol into acetic acid.

Usually the specific gravity increases or decreases in the fermented mead ?

I used 1 to 6 ratio with water. I think the little sour might be because of the bacteria that converted the alcohol into acetic acid.

Usually the specific gravity increases or decreases in the fermented mead ?

Are you really asking this? Or are you just playing around? It boggles the mind if you're being serious.

Sunaquar said:
I used wild flower honey without any yeast.

You can't make alcohol without yeast, plain and simple. If you didn't add any of your own yeast, most likely a mold of some sort(infection) has taken residence, or a wild yeast(doubtful).

I am pretty sure that raw honey has the yeast itself. We add more yeast just to speed up the fermentation. Naturally water content is less than 17% , once we increases that after diluting, fermentation starts with lots of shaking initially.

Sunaquar said:
I am pretty sure that raw honey has the yeast itself. We add more yeast just to speed up the fermentation. Naturally water content is less than 17% , once we increases that after diluting, fermentation starts with lots of shaking initially.

I honestly would have to research it a little more as I know very little about mead and natural yeast in it.
But the bitterness does sound like an infection. You can ride it out and see what happens. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will come in here and advise you further.

Sunaquar said:

Yes, there is likely a few wild yeast cells in any given raw honey sample. However, those few cells must compete with everything else also in that honey, and they are statistically unlikely to come out on top. You turned your must into a giant battle field with thousands of different troops, all on different sides. You're betting that the one guy you want to win will come out alive and kill everyone else.

Even if the few wild yeast cells that may be in the honey do come out on top, there is no guarantee that they are even a suitable strain for making a drinkable mead. There are tens of thousands of strains of yeast, and only a handful are actually good at making a decent drink.

You'll waste your time and money trying to cultivate wild yeast on this. Spend a dollar for a packet of good yeast and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Back