Windows 8: One Hot Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

day_trippr

The Central Scruuuutinizer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I had been doing my typical months of over-analyzing before a significant purchase, in this case a new laptop for my business. I have a lengthy criteria list that wasn't easy to satisfy, but I finally worked through the cement-boots thing and sprung for a pretty killer machine.

But it came with Windows 8.

And Holy Jeebus, for anyone that actually wants to do anything even remotely considered "work" on a Windows 8 system, you have to fight your way through that POS user interface at every step.

The best of the worst: just try finding the "Shut Down" function. It's buried in Settings, of course!

I've been designing computer systems and hardware since 1973, used every incarnation of Windows since the beginnings, and coming from Windows 7 Ultimate - definitely the bestest everest Microsoft OS - this is such a precipitous down-grade it's hard to believe it ever made it out of their shop. I have no clue what they were thinking with the whole Tiles thing being the default desktop, and turning the classic "Start Menu" into a multi-screen tour full of shortcuts. I've only had this system for two days and it's already driving me crazy with the random acts of lunacy.

As soon as I get a USB3 external drive hooked up to this thing to create some system images and a restore CD, I'll be shopping for a shell ASAP.
I also have an available Windows 7 Pro license I may move to this laptop as the primary OS and dual-boot with W8, if only to be able to test some of the CAE stuff I depend on when their respective developers claim W8 compatibility.

Windows 8 is inevitable, but at this point I may be hanging on to W7 until it gasps its last breath of MS support.

Cheers!

Time to come to the dark side and use Linux where you can :).

I'm a computer tech and ive had pretty much the exact same reservations as you have about windows 8. The OS is not designed for a serious user. The interface is a serious debauchery of practical and efficient design. Ill be sticking with Windows 7 until i have no choice but to upgrade.

Isn't really made for Pad's? Someone told me that was the direction they are going. I played with it at Sam's club and made me think of my Sam 7" touch screen.

It is. They're attempting to create an enclosed market - like ecosystem where they get a cut of all the profits and tighter control over content on their system. They essentially are trying to create a platform like apple. The interface and all of the improvements to the OS for Windows 8 are geared toward tablets. They (imo), unwisely made this the default environment for the normal desktop operating system rather than having a more IOS vs Mac differentiation. In the business sense it makes sense to create a homogenous environment. But this severely affects users who 1) don't care for touching their monitor. I and 2) don't want to fiddle around with an interface on their workstation that was designed for an entirely different method of input. And that input method runs through the whole OS making it extremely cumbersome to navigate and or operate. Things that were non-trivial before are now impossible to find (like trying to shut down the computer)

Not really. As far as I've read the start menu has been gutted from the OS. Samsung is creating a software package that will reproduce this behavior though. I'm sure many people will create interface customizations to fix the Win8 UI. That at least is one of the good things about windows. Customization has been available for a long time and will continue to be!

I have really lost faith in Windows, I loved 95', 98'. Windows Millennium was a disaster, XP was great, Vista sucked, Win 7 is nice, It's like every other OS is complete Sh*t.......I don't even use explorer anymore, Use firefox & Chrome, and Itunes for music......

After years of kicking around the idea of switching to Linux, just the reports I've read about Windows 8 have finally pushed me to make the move. I've been looking at Linux Mint (Cinnamon edition) and like what I see. Hoping I can get it installed sometime after Christmas. Will dual boot with XP for a while until I learn what I'm doing with Linux - definitely a big learning curve, but I think it'll be worth it.

I have done network security for over a decade and after a few years I dumped winders and use Linux exclusively. I charge my clients a surcharge for MS networks and as of the first I will no longer renew the service agreements with those clients. The up side of dumping MS is I no longer need to read the disaster recovery how-to's and no longer have to take a few weeks of my life learning the hoops to jump of the new OS.

I'm certainly no computer guru, but I REALLY hate this new Windows 8. I loved XP and have been happy with 7 (HATED Vista)... but 8 just feels like a cheapened shell of an operating system. It has pissed me off enough that I was considering going to Apple for my next computer (despite being so utterly pissed with Apple that I went with an Android phone after 5 years of iPhones)... But maybe I will give Linux a try. Windows 8 has really turned me off to Microsoft. I truly hope they realize their mistake and go back to a familiar format... Otherwise I'm done.

I really hope that this isn't the direction they are going with all versions of Windows from now on. I can deal with sticking with Windows 7 for now, but to think that it might be the last functional version ever is kind of scary. But it seems so incredibly stupid for Microsoft to ignore the consumers who don't want their PC reduced to a smartphone - let alone actual BUSINESSES - that I still have hope that they'll still produce a proper OS.

I've been Windows-free since 2007. Praise the Lord.

The desktop Linux ecosystem has had its share of turmoil in the same period, but at least you always have choices.

Got a laptop two weeks ago and figured might as well take the plunge to windows 8...hate it too. I've figured out some work-arounds to quick launch the work stuff I regularly need but it is still a piece of crap in my opinion.

After years of kicking around the idea of switching to Linux, just the reports I've read about Windows 8 have finally pushed me to make the move. I've been looking at Linux Mint (Cinnamon edition) and like what I see. Hoping I can get it installed sometime after Christmas. Will dual boot with XP for a while until I learn what I'm doing with Linux - definitely a big learning curve, but I think it'll be worth it.

Linux Mint is very easy to use,it's what is my main OS. You can run it from a live disk also.

It wouldn't be so bad if at least they gave the option to boot straight to the desktop vice the start/tiles. I don't use any of the apps in the tiles and some require you to be logged into your Windows account to use. I start the computer up as a local user with no password, I see no need to have to log into a computer when its in my house. Then what, I'd have to log off so someone can use the computer? The other problem I have with it not starting in the desktop is that I have a Logitech media server that doesn't startup until the desktop is launched.

It makes you wonder how the OS got into the market and what practical testing they did on it in a desktop environment. It's definitely a problem when people have to make work arounds right out of the gate.

Perhaps they will take all the feedback and issue an update to fix it.

I recently installed a new SSD for my boot drive on my tower. I was thinking about going to Windows 8 (still might) but stuck with 7 for a couple of reasons. I do like the faster boot from the SSD but I know Win 8 is faster. Finding the shutdown item isn't difficult or complicated (pulls away from the right side of the screen. Just like getting to the 'all apps' isn't difficult or involved.

I do agree that Win 8 is geared more towards touchscreens. But with how many of those are coming put now, its not surprising.

If I upgrade the version of Roxio I have, I'll give Win 8 a shot on my tower. Since I had done a backup recently, it won't be so bad. As for the login aspect, I do that now. Difference is I log into an AD domain at home. Yes I have an AD DC at home (I'm in IT as a VMware admin).

I would advise not judging after just two days. Give it a week or two. Read up on the differences (before you go to it would have been better) so you know what you're in for. Look at it like buying a car. You wouldn't just go off the outside appearance and a spec sheet, right? Unless you've already given the make/model/version a test drive.

BTW, you can add apps to the tiles as well as the taskbar without too much effort.

Windows 8 is just fine by me. I installed it on my ASUS netbook the day it was released. Of course, it always takes a bit to find where they put everything in the new OS and that can be frustrating when you're trying to get work done. :drunk: But Windows 8 has been working just fine for me and I like it more and more the longer I use it.

Cheers!

Don

I actually do like most of Windows 8, it's just that there are a few annoyances in a desktop environment where it doesn't seam like they thought those out. The more I use it the better it does get.

I have a touchscreen, but haven't utilized it much in Windows 8 yet. I got the desktop only a few months ago and it came with Windows 7. I decided to just upgrade right away to 8 since I had not used 7 before anyway. After rebates the upgrade was pretty much free.

Ok, three days in, I'm convinced business will avoid Windows 8 like the plague.

And considering businesses are just getting around to deploying Windows 7 I suspect waiting for Windows 9 (to be known as "We Came To Our Senses") won't be a problem.

"Shut down easy to find"? Riiight, fanboi...

Cheers! ;)

Here's a fairly recent YouTube video.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo"]Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation[/ame].

Ok, three days in, I'm convinced business will avoid Windows 8 like the plague.

And considering businesses are just getting around to deploying Windows 7 I suspect waiting for Windows 9 (to be known as "We Came To Our Senses") won't be a problem.

"Shut down easy to find"? Riiight, fanboi...

Cheers! ;)

Exactly! I work for a 16 billion dollar oil company and we JUST now switched to 7, from XP. I've already over heard our IT guys say Windows 8 will never be on our computers.

I've been using computers on a day to day basis for over 20 years, I shouldn't have to GOOGLE HOW TO TURN THE FREAKIN THING OFF. The OS is a joke, I have to click 5-10 times to do something I could do in 1-2 clicks on Windows 7. The only comparison I can make about shopping for a new car and Windows 8 is, Windows 8 is like a car where the dimmer switch is in the trunk! No need to test drive it for days to figure out it's worthless.

Exactly! I work for a 16 billion dollar oil company and we JUST now switched to 7, from XP. I've already over heard our IT guys say Windows 8 will never be on our computers.

I've been using computers on a day to day basis for over 20 years, I shouldn't have to GOOGLE HOW TO TURN THE FREAKIN THING OFF. The OS is a joke, I have to click 5-10 times to do something I could do in 1-2 clicks on Windows 7. The only comparison I can make about shopping for a new car and Windows 8 is, Windows 8 is like a car where the dimmer switch is in the trunk! No need to test drive it for days to figure out it's worthless.

You had to use Google to figure that out? Took me all of about 10 seconds to figure out where they put it now.

I do agree that most businesses won't be fast to change to Win 8. Especially since lots are still making the change to Win 7 now. Some will make the change over for tablets. Most laptops (without touchscreens) won't be changed as fast, if at all.

Got a new computer from my parents for Xmas and its got windows 8. I was quite skeptical, having been a victim of vista, but it's actually pretty cool. Good combo of phone and pc in one. Kids took to it immediately and it just might get me to log back onto facebook. Maybe that's not such a good thing...

At any rate it's pretty fun and civ 5 > civ 2! Plus angry birds star wars might finally lead to actual star wars!!

Time to come to the dark side and use Linux where you can :).

I'm a computer tech and ive had pretty much the exact same reservations as you have about windows 8. The OS is not designed for a serious user. The interface is a serious debauchery of practical and efficient design. Ill be sticking with Windows 7 until i have no choice but to upgrade.

This! Plus I hang on to every copy of xp I can.

I'll go on a limb here and support the op - Vista sucked. Major resource hog and I'm a Software Engineer that developed apps on Vista (painful). I wouldn't advise anyone to 'upgrade' to Vista.

I've been using Win 8 for about 2 weeks now and like it even more than Win 7, and I used that for over 3 years. Two solid OS's in a row, with one deadbeat, and XP, another solid release, before that. Microsoft couldn't dump Vista fast enough, in my opinion.

The problem I found is most users supplied it with minimum spec systems. I had a powerful system for it to run on. Never had any resource problems.. except firefox. That is one poorly written program. Keeps sucking up more and more memory and never releasing it.

My two cents if I may. Vista sucked, Windows 7 became what Vista was supposed to be. I have an HP touch screen and have just moved to WIN 8. It was a ***** to install, but after much research I got it to stabilize and I love it.

Pretty much everyone/anyone will agree Vista was an OS that never should have been released. Windows 7 is far better than Vista, and previous operating systems. On my Windows tablet, Win 8 is about 98% of where I want it to be. If I could just get the damned screen to rotate with the tablet, it would be 100%. I blame the tablet manufacturer on that though, NOT Microsoft.

With most of my "upgrade's" of the OS, I go with the wipe and install method. IME, it leads to far less issues in both the short, and long, term.

I'm giving serious thought to wiping my Windows tablet and reinstalling Win 8 on it. Especially since the manufacturer has released Windows 8 drivers and such. Plus, I had installed the release candidate earlier (via TechNet), so things could be better with a clean, current release, install.

I feel your pain.
My Windows 7 work laptop dropped a chocolate muffin in my lap one day while at a jobsite, so I popped off to the local Worst Buy and snagged a new laptop. Windows 8. Bugger.
The first two weeks were awful. Wireless internet worked for a few minutes, disconnected, and then would not reconnect. Old programs and great games that I once used constantly are incompatible. Wrong move of the touchpad, and I'm looking at a different screen, not sure how I got there or how to get back.
I'm now doing much better on it. My only question is: How do I search the Windows Store app for a specific app? I have yet to figure that one out.
I may not be a great fan, but it's not an insurmountable learning curve.

I may not be a great fan, but it's not an insurmountable learning curve.

Diner: I'd like to have the Reuben.
Waiter: You'll have the chicken.
Diner: I'd really like to have the Reuben.
Diner: Alright, so I guess some fried chicken would be good.
Waiter: It's baked.
Diner: I don't really care for baked chicken.
Waiter: You'll have the baked chicken.
Diner: Okay, I'll have the baked chicken.
Waiter: With a side of beets.
Diner: Okay.

MS: You'll have Windows 8
Consumer: Okay.

Diner: I'd like to have the Reuben.
Diner: I'd really like to have the Reuben.
Diner: Alright, so I guess some fried chicken would be good.
Waiter: It's baked.
Diner: I don't really care for baked chicken.
Waiter: You'll have the baked chicken.
Diner: Okay, I'll have the baked chicken.
Waiter: With a side of beets.
Diner: Okay.

MS: You'll have Windows 8
Consumer: Okay.

But, unlike with apple, you at least have the chance of installing Windows 7 onto that new system (that came with 8). :D With apple, you don't even get a choice... It's more along the lines of: You'll have OS X nn.nn and you WILL LIKE IT!! Doesn't matter if you have software that cannot run on it. Or older hardware (that's business critical) doesn't have drivers for it yet. You got that shiny new computer from them, and all you can do is surf the web. :eek: :drunk::cross::D

...you at least have the chance of installing Windows 7 onto that new system (that came with 8)...
I believe the media is not provided.

So after ordering the baked chicken with beets it is possible to "downgrade" to the Reuben so long as you bring it in yourself.

I believe the media is not provided.

So after ordering the baked chicken with beets it is possible to "downgrade" to the Reuben so long as you bring it in yourself.

Well, there are plenty of us that have full access to Windows 7 media/ISO files. :D Legit ones even. :eek: Got to love TechNet. :D

IF you order a system from the manufacturer, most will still give you the option of getting either Windows 7 or 8 with/on it. Those that just have to rush out to the store to get it are a lot more limited in options/choices.

Back