Almost done with my Keezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
I just need a drip tray.

image-1383416951.jpg

image-1192694869.jpg

image-858129484.jpg

image-1956246609.jpg

image-2609669309.jpg

Yeah I know but I was too excited to wait. I'm not sure of the cf because i got it from CL and the cubic footage isnt listed on the tag. I can easily fit 6 ball locks, with the 20lb tank on the hump.

Yeah I know but I was too excited to wait. I'm not sure of the cf because i got it from CL and the cubic footage isnt listed on the tag. I can easily fit 6 ball locks, with the 20lb tank on the hump.

Cubic foot is length x width x height. Subtract the hump by measuring its dimension. It's probably in the model number also

I'm aware of the math, I just don't happen to be home at the moment.

And the drip tray is on the way!

image-2698005260.jpg

Thanks a lot. It definitely turned out better than I expected.

I put a 90* bracket onto the inside corners of the collar and secured them with screws. Then I attached the collar to the freezer by gluing it down with construction adhesive. It is the caulk tube type from Home Depot. I can't remember the brand but it's the same adhesive that several other keezers on this site were built with.

Once the collar was on, I used the same glue to attach the foam insulation. Then I used expanding spray foam for any gaps, as well as the foil tape.

The wood you see in the final photos is okoume marine grade plywood. It is about 1/8" thick and wraps around the collar, overhanging the bottom.

What type of paint did you use? I sanded the lid on my freezer completely and was thinking about chalkboarding it but I don't want the bottom to stay white. I was thinking about appliance paint but I'm not sure if I have to sand off the original paint, its a pain without a good sander. I don't really wanna buy one just for this.

I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner (spray type). I didn't sand all. It was very easy.

Legit. Hadn't thought about putting foam inside my collar, seems like it could help some - mine seems like it hardly runs though.

Balanced_Brew said:
Legit. Hadn't thought about putting foam inside my collar, seems like it could help some - mine seems like it hardly runs though.

Wood is a great insulator, no foam necessary

I decided to insulate, based on posts like this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/insulate-keezer-collar-not-246044/

Not mandatory, but couldn't hurt for just a few dollars.

Totally agree, no harm no foul. In addition to the 1.75" from the 2x6, I've got another .75" from my facacde, plus some silicone between those layers. My keezer turns on maybe once per hour for only a few minutes. Did you install a little computer fan? That seems to keep the temp pretty steady too.

Nice work!!

I know this is maybe a dumb question but as a non-woodworking person I don't know how you got the angle on your collar when you butt the corner pieces up. I know it must be done with a saw of some sort but how did you do this ? I see most keezer collars have that 45 degree joining corner but I would like to have the same results when I build my keezer. Thanks for any input you can give me.

I used a "chop saw" or duel miter compound saw. It cuts various angles.

I measured and made my cuts, then used a corner clamp (if that's what it's called) while screwing the brackets into place.

I could have butted them together though, cuz I wrapped the collar with Okoume ply wood and you can't see the corners of the pine anyway.

The whole project was incredibly easy.

Brulosopher said:
Did you install a little computer fan?

I did not. It seems that no matter what I do, there is gap in one corner between the lid and collar. It is very small, but I figure a fan would blow cold air out, rather than letting it sink to the bottom and stay there. Once I fix that, I'll have to get a fan.

Craigslist!

I left room for a Rogue tap handle.

image-1157024522.jpg

Back