Coffee in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiana

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with adding coffee to a secondary? I'm making a stout and would like some coffee flavor, so here's my plan:
cold brew 1L of coffee w. boiled & cooled water for about 3-7 days and just adding that L of liquid (wo the grouds) when I move to the secondary. Thoughts or insight?

Thanks

-K

Here's how you can do cold extraction for coffee.

Take 2 ounces of coffee beans, grind them fine and wrap them in a couple of coffee filters. Let them steep in 8 oz. of cold water overnight (boil the water first, then let cool).

Then add 1 ounce of the coffee extract to your bottling bucket or keg for 5 gallons. This will give you a great aroma & flavor while not diluting your stout.

I'd use a nice strong coffee bean.

What Ed said.

Here is a link to an article if you want to read more: http://***********/feature/1020.html

just read a BYO where they suggested making shots of espresso, and add that to your secondary.
but use lighter beans, like sumatran, and add 1.2oz shots one at a time, tasting til you like it. anywhere from 5-15 shots.

the steam in an espresso machine keeps it fairly sanitary.

malkore said:
but use lighter beans, like sumatran, and add 1.2oz shots one at a time, tasting til you like it. anywhere from 5-15 shots.

Sumatra is a big body coffee, which is what makes it good for espresso. A lighter coffee would be a more acidic coffee. Like a Harrar or a Yirgacheffe. But the fruit from lighter coffees wouldn't be good in stouts or porters. (Although I had a Harrar that had some good blueberry flavor once that might have been good in a Hefe...)

The Sumatra suggestion is a good one, but for the wrong reason I think. Another suggestion I would make is a Panama or an Austrialian, which can have some great chocolate flavors.

I may not know beer yet, but coffee is definately my thing...

I have a coffee question. I have a stout that I just put in the secondary and was going to add Kona blend to it, but from reading this thread it appears that not just any coffee will work. The stout I have is mostly John Palmer's Mill run stout.
8lb pale malt
1lb crystal 60L
1/2lb roasted barley
1/2lb flaked barley
3/4oz nugget@60
1oz fuggles@30
Safale s-04 yeast

Will Kona Blend be okay with this or should I be looking for another coffee?

The Coffee stout at Uncle Billy's Brewpub in Austin uses some Brazilian blend. Pretty strong stuff, but very tasty.

Lesson learnt :
I added 200g of freshly ground coffee (dark columbian) to three litres of water. Brought this to the boil, removed from heat and covered. Let this sit for a couple of hours whilst you do the wort boil. Add to the primary after taking about 40min straining though coffee filters making sure you get coffee and the grounds everywhere.
I now have coffee porters that are so strong that I cannot drink them! ...little less coffee next time. Anybody for a morning coffee???

Yeah, the brewer at Uncle Billy's uses a ratio of 1.2 ounces of cold extracted coffee to 5 gallons of beer. My previous post will give you an amazing coffee aroma and flavor without overpowering the malt & hops of the beer.

EdWort said:
Yeah, the brewer at Uncle Billy's uses a ratio of 1.2 ounces of cold extracted coffee to 5 gallons of beer. My previous post will give you an amazing coffee aroma and flavor without overpowering the malt & hops of the beer.

I have 7% coffee! ...another one for long term storage me thinks. Just a bit miffed I used good bottles for it! Good for early morning wake ups on fishing trips or in the afternoon, but not at night - like having triple expressos :D

dibby33 said:
I have 7% coffee! ...another one for long term storage me thinks. Just a bit miffed I used good bottles for it! Good for early morning wake ups on fishing trips or in the afternoon, but not at night - like having triple expressos :D

That stuff would rock for morning Ice Fishing!!!!

Robar said:
Will Kona Blend be okay with this or should I be looking for another coffee?
Kona will definately be fine, but such a well balanced coffee will probably be hidden in a beer. But by all means, splurge if you must.

This stout isn't real heavy or thick, how much Kona would you suggest I steep? I was thinking about 1/2 lb in enough water to get it all wet for what amounts to roughly 4.25 gallons of stout. Yes, no, maybe?

Fingers said:
There are 454 grams in a pound. Dibby used 200 for his undrinkable stout. You're going for 227?

Yeah and my recommendation is 56 grams in 8 ounces of water, of which only once ounce of the coffee is used after steeping for 24 hours in cold water.

I guess a french coffee press would work great for this concept. Boil the water and let cool and add it to a sanitized french coffee press along with 56 grams of freshly ground coffee. Yeah, that's the ticket. Pour out an ounce after a day of steeping.

Back