what is the best of the best bench capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe22

Reaction score
I was wanting to buy a bench capper, but i was looking for the best of the best, the caddillac of bench cappers, and where can i find it. dose any one know of any.

Ferrari is the one you want. Here's Catt's handy useful tip of the day for you. Mount the capper on a wooden base. IMO, this makes it much easier to use. I made the base for mine from a piece of 5/8" plywood. It spans the wash tub sink in my basement and I put a couple of cleats on the bottom to keep it in place. This was a simple improvement, but it really makes bottling more convenient. I used machine screws with wing nuts so it's easy to break down for storage. Any spillage gets washed right into the sink.

i have seen the ferrari but i have my eye on the ferrari colt http://www.williamsbrewing.com/FERRARI-COLT-CAPPER-P2390C54.aspx i just did'nt know it there was some thing better
zy8yu0.jpg

I have one of these on a wooden base. I prefer the wing type (red barron) capper. The bench model doesn't release well and is actually harder to use, IMO.

Man, I feel exactly the opposite on this. I'm not clear on what you mean by releasing well. What is it that doesn't release. I like that I can operate it with one hand, unlike the Red Barron capper. I think I can bottle much faster with a bench capper as well.

That Ferrari Colt looks to be a deluxe version of the same bench capper. Very nice!

I have both the "super agata" and the hand-held "red baron." In the last few batches, I have found the hand-held "red baron" quicker and easier than the "super agata." I have only had one problem with the rb...I pulled the levers down too far and broke a bottle! The sa is harder to center over the bottle, and if it is NOT centered, the cap will not seal correctly.

glenn514:mug:

Man, I feel exactly the opposite on this. I'm not clear on what you mean by releasing well. What is it that doesn't release.

After pushing down on the lever, when you pull it back up, the bottle sticks to the capper and tries to lift off the ground.

After pushing down on the lever, when you pull it back up, the bottle sticks to the capper and tries to lift off the ground.

This can happen on certain types of bottles, New Belgium being the worst offender. The easy solution is not to pull straight down on the bottle if it gets lifted up, but to tilt it out at an angle. This happens maybe 10% of the time for me, and is a minor inconvenience considering how well it does otherwise.

That's odd. I've been using mine for a very long time and never had that happen even once. Some keg lube in the bell might help eliminate that problem. Mine has always worked flawlessly.

I was going to buy the Colonna capper/corker. Now I'm not so sure. I thought it was the one. Guess I will wait for more responses to this. I've always used the Red Barron and have no complaints.

Or, you could check out some antique shops in the area. I found a sweet, cast iron capper from the 1920's for around $20. The thing was made for industrial use and still works like a champ. Plus it looks freakin tight on my workbench!:rockin:

I would also suggest an antique one. I got one from Ebay that I am very pleased with - and it was not expensive. Bit of a clean up and paint and it looks bitchin'.
Cheers!
Also cool to think about the history of the thing - maybe it was used during Prohibition.

I don't usually bottle anymore, but I did many batches with my Super Agata and Red Baron hand capper. Of the two, I much preferred the Red Baron, because the Super Agata's plastic guts get worn out quickly and, as another posted mentioned, bottles tend to stick to the bell. However, the Agata can cap several types of bottles hand cappers can't handle, so I was always happy to have both around.

I have both the Colonna capper/corker and the Super Agata.
If you want to do corks as well as cap then go with the Colonna.
It's great unless your using a mixed batch of bottles in the same session as you'll need to adjust the base plate for different heights.
Not a big deal just be aware of it.
For capping they both work great. The Super Agata is nice when using mixed sizes of bottles as it adjust for height easily.

EO74 said:
Why not just get swing top bottles??

They are expensive compared to regular bottles, not suitable for competitions (I think), and they had an annoying tendency to not seal properly when I used them.

I have the super agata capper. I haven't mounted it to anything, but I found that if I hold the bottle body down enough to keep the capper from tipping over, the bottles will never get stuck in the bell.

I think i am going for the colt, i was just hopping to find one with a cast body like saw on this australia web site.

Back