Extra super late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete79

Reaction score
Last brew session I just get done pitching the yeast when I look over and see three pounds of dme I was supposed to add post boil. :mad:

So I just dumped it into the fermentor and mixed it up a bit. (Good think I ferment in plastic buckets.) There were still some chunks left when I put the lid on.

Question is do you think the yeast will get to all the dme? And there is only a very slight chance of infection right?

This is only a noobs guess, but I from what I have been told most extract is ready to be eaten, and the boil isn't really needed to make it ferment-able. I would also guess that infection rates would be very low assuming the rest of your sanitation is up to snuff.

Lets see what others say.....

BGH

Meh, you'll be fine. If you pitched the yeast at a proper temperature to get them going quickly then I'd say you have a low chance of infection. However, your yeasties may have a hard time getting at a lot of the sugar from the dme due to it being in clumps but that's probably negligible. I don't think it dissolves very easily in room temp liquid.

You probably won't have an infection if your stirring utensil was sanitized. However, not sure on the chunks o' DME dissolving- that stuff can clump like a mother. Post back when you rack and let us know.

Back