working at home...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I work at home doing tech support. Now the question is...
Beer with lunch or not? Most work places I've been at would frown upon "drinking" on the job. I'm getting tired of soda and water. One can't hurt right?

I work at home doing tech support. Now the question is...
Beer with lunch or not? Most work places I've been at would frown upon "drinking" on the job. I'm getting tired of soda and water. One can't hurt right?

How long you been doing that? I would have started drinking the first day on the job. I do technical support as well and don't know why I can't work from home. I can already remote in and I can forward my desk phone to my cell phone. I have so much time between calls. I'd for sure renew my XBox Live Membership.

I'd drink a few everyday for sure. I'd leave the Apfelwein until cock out time though! If you're worried about it, just make a session beer like a mild or something. You'd have to drink 5-6 to get any kind of buzz.

I'd leave the Apfelwein until cock out time though!
There's a Freudian slip if I ever saw one.

I've worked remotely for two years now - and I feel no pangs of guilt for enjoying a pint with my lunch - and there it stops until COB. Similarly, I often do business at the pub with local clients.

I think if I did it would be just like Flyangler said, a pint with lunch and then nothing more until clockout. I've been doing the remote support for about 2 months now. Its nice but having moved from working with dozens of people every day to by myself remoting in to peoples computers is kind of boring. But hey, it pays the bills and allowed me to move across the country so I can't complain. Also, since I'm home I keep my AC on all day which keeps the apartment cooler which is better for whats brewing in the closets.
The only problem with remoting in though is that I also need to remote into the main office to access a computer there for our customer database, and right now thats not working... so I can't work, (hence me being here...). The problem is that they are kind of up tight about that kind of stuff so if I couldn't be working they might make me work late to get my full 8 hours.

So is it like tech support for a company and you can live where ever you want? What the tech support for? Are they hiring?? I'd love to work from home. I'd for sure have an office in the garage. Hold on Customer X, I need to make this hop addition and I'll be right with you.

I work operations on a lot of HA critical servers and applications.

I get to work from home occasionaly. And yes, I have no problem having one or two during the day.
However, if I were to get sauced, I'd probably make a mistake that would cost a lot of time and money, so I prefer to stay focused.

I am the only employee who works remotely. I started with them physically and then wanted to move, it turns out having me move so I was in a different time zone worked out really well for them so we setup this arrangement.
I wouldn't have more than 1 in a day. I also need to stay focused.

I'd say if stays at 1 or 2 and stops no problem. Until recently I was unemployed. I watched my kid all day long so I had that same kind of responsibility.

I will say that having a beer tends to make me lazy mid afternoon. Days that I skip the beer at lunch I seem to get more stuff done.

You need to answer this only you know whether it will work.

I tend to set goals every morning and use the beer as a carrot.

You could also eat lunch at 2-3PM too! I sometimes eat lunch at 4PM. :D

Dude, I would love to be able to have a small glass with lunch. Unfortunately, I work all day at the office, so that's a no-go for me.

When I get home, though I grab a pint and get ready to get some stuff done. Then I'm like, aw fk it! Beer makes me lazy too. I have to force myself to get going.

well, I get really stir crazy sitting here in my apartment for 8 hours... I was thinking a beer might help the stir crazyness. Also, I think i'll move lunch to 1pm.
Anyone who thinks working at home is the greatest thing ever... just know that whereever you work is suddenly going to feel like 1/2 as big and twice as boring. Also be prepared for your coworkers to constantly assume you are screwing around. Which i'm not (except right now... but only because the database is down until someone gets there to turn it back on).

I work primarily from home, though often from the road and am rarely in my office. It's a very rare occasion when I grab a pint with lunch. It just makes me lethargic and there's a bit of a guilt factor there.

I don't find working from home boring at all. I get far more done at my dining room table than I do at my office. If my co-workers think I'm screwing off, too damn bad. :D

Anyone who thinks working at home is the greatest thing ever... just know that whereever you work is suddenly going to feel like 1/2 as big and twice as boring. Also be prepared for your coworkers to constantly assume you are screwing around.

Meh - depends entirely on the nature of work you are in. I'm an account manager for a stock photography company and my business is directly linked to the effort that I put into developing relationships with my clients. I can be flexible with my schedule and take some liberties because I've proven myself to be comfortable and productive in a non-traditional work environment - and my boss recognizes it. I'm far more productive now - and I don't have to deal with office conflict and all the rest of that BS.

Frankly, my co-workers can assume all they want - but my numbers tell a different story. :D

I work primarily from home, though often from the road and am rarely in my office. It's a very rare occasion when I grab a pint with lunch. It just makes me lethargic and there's a bit of a guilt factor there.

I don't find working from home boring at all. I get far more done at my dining room table than I do at my office. If my co-workers think I'm screwing off, too damn bad. :D

OK - That's why your post count is so high!!! :D

I am a remote employee as well. My office is my home. I spend a lot of time on the road though. Ideally I stay home at least one day a week. That doesn't always happen. Sometimes it's more than one day, other times I will go for a few weeks without staying home to do, paperwork, expenses, what have you.

I actually accomplish quite a bit from home, and find that if I go to one of our offices I actually become less productive.

Three days home this week. Got a boatload of things accomplished. Monday I had a light breakfast, and then did not leave the computer other than bio breaks, until almost 5pm. Tuesday I had lunch at Victory. Had a beer with lunch. Came home mowed the lawn. Hung some pictures, answered some phone calls. Don't even ask about Wed.

If I pulled the beer at lunch thing daily, I would get in trouble. It's all about moderation and what works for you. Working from home is good, unless you get easily distracted.

What was I talking about?

I need to bottle tonight and I really do NEED to have at least 1 more bottle to bottle in so.... its only practical... right?

I'd say if stays at 1 or 2 and stops no problem. Until recently I was unemployed. I watched my kid all day long so I had that same kind of responsibility.

I will say that having a beer tends to make me lazy mid afternoon. Days that I skip the beer at lunch I seem to get more stuff done.

You need to answer this only you know whether it will work.

I tend to set goals every morning and use the beer as a carrot.

You could also eat lunch at 2-3PM too! I sometimes eat lunch at 4PM. :D

Same for me. I would rather get the work done and out of the way and then enjoy the beers knowing my work is done. Even on my days off and weekends I rarely drink before 6pm. When I was younger I did though, I guess it is an age thing for me too.

i wish my work was task based, that would make it easier. Unfortunately tech support isn't working out that way, you wait for calls to come in until a certain time and then you're done. I really liked task based jobs more.

i wish my work was task based, that would make it easier. Unfortunately tech support isn't working out that way, you wait for calls to come in until a certain time and then you're done. I really liked task based jobs more.

Just found out I have to come back in tonight at 11pm for a problem. I am going to leave early at 2pm, who knows maybe I will go home and have a few and sleep a couple hours before coming back in tonight.
:mug:

Got home early but just didn't feel like having one so I went to bed and got some sleep. I am at work now and may have a few after I get home earlier this morning to help me crash out so I don't spend all day tomorrow sleeping. Being on call sucks.

I work from home now, but in the office where I used to work, we had a beer fridge, and I would often have a beer at lunchtime before going back to work.

When I travel to the office in CA now I like to raid the boss' tequila stash. She usually breaks it out around 2 or 3 depending on how bad the meetings of the day have been. :)

Interesting topic. I should finish building my keezer tomorrow. I put it on wheels so it can be moved around but its usual place is going to be in my home office on the wall opposite my desk. There is not enough free wall sapce in the family room for it. It sure is gonna be tempting to fill a glass at lunch. The problem as I see it is if I have more then one. I have not had a problem with the bottled stuff since it sits in a closet in my office and is warm anyway. I just don't think about going to the family room and breaking out cold one out of the fridge.

I work from home from time to time, tech support too, beer is for playtime only......certain lines shouldn't be crossed in my opinion, but then I crossed them all in spades in the past, so it's a case of lessons learned, not taking some moral high ground :)

Back