Slight hiccup on first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Tackled my first AG this last weekend and overall it went pretty successful except for collecting to much water.

I had set brewsmith up for a 16% evap rate since it was around 40*, i figured it would work out fine. Well I was bit wrong..lol I ended up only boiling off about 1.25 gallons rather than than the 2gallons i figured.

My question is, is will this effect the flavor to much? At the 10 minute mark, i decided to yank the hop bag out and boil down to 5.75 gallons, which ended up needing an additional 45 minutes of boil time. Once i got it down, i put the hop bag back in, added the last hop addition, irish moss and finished it.

My OG was 1.060 compared to the 1.051 i had calculated, so i guess my effeciency was higher than planned.

This is for a porter, so i'm thinking if anything, by boiling longer it will taste slightly more carmelized, wihch may not be a bad thing...?

Adding 45 min to the boil isn't that much of a problem. Maybe more melanoidin production. It won't be noticed in a porter though.

This has happened to me before and everything turned out fine. I followed almost the exact steps that you did and it tasted great. As for the kettle carmelzation I think that will taste good. Congrats on the high O.G I love it when I get better efficiency than I planned. Welcome to the AG club do enjoy.:mug:

Ok, thanks.

Doing my 2nd one this weekend and i'll be starting with less water this time around.

This has happened to me before and everything turned out fine. I followed almost the exact steps that you did and it tasted great. As for the kettle carmelzation I think that will taste good. Congrats on the high O.G I love it when I get better efficiency than I planned. Welcome to the AG club do enjoy.:mug:

Yea, i was happy about that as well.

When I had my additional 1.25 gallons I was actually dead-on with my estimated OG.

My mash temps worked out perfectly, so I guess with that, and the 5.2 buffer I used, it worked out good for me.

Regarding effeciency though, I took pre-boil readings, but since I had to much wort, will that effect the effeciency readings that I can plug into brewsmith?

Just Curious, I am pretty familiar with Colorado but where is Parker?

About 30 minutes south of denver. Right next to castle rock, on your way to Colorado Springs.

Pretty close to aurora as well.

Regarding effeciency though, I took pre-boil readings, but since I had to much wort, will that effect the effeciency readings that I can plug into brewsmith?[/QUOTE]

I am not to sure about this, but I think it will be ok if you just plug it in, maybe someone with more experience can chim in. Any way enjoy the beer!

I always shoot to be a little low. You can always add a half-gallon or whatever to the fermenter.

I kept track of boil off rates and they were pretty inconsistent; too many variables I guess.

I just want to nip the caramelization issue in the bud so there isn't misinformation.

USUALLY, in a wort boil, especially a full AG boil, only Miallard reactions are happening.

Caramelization only happens above 300*F. It is 230*F for fuctose, but there is little or no fructose in wort.

Both reactions are similar. They are both forms of non-enzymatic browning. The Maillard reaction is a reaction between an amino acid and sugar molecule. Caramelization is an oxidative reaction between two sugar molecules.

Sorry for the aside.

I just want to nip the caramelization issue in the bud so there isn't misinformation.

USUALLY, in a wort boil, especially a full AG boil, only Miallard reactions are happening.

Caramelization only happens above 300*F. It is 230*F for fuctose, but there is little or no fructose in wort.

Both reactions are similar. They are both forms of non-enzymatic browning. The Maillard reaction is a reaction between an amino acid and sugar molecule. Caramelization is an oxidative reaction between two sugar molecules.

Sorry for the aside.

Thank you. I honestly couldnt remember the term used but knew that they were similar and that it did cause a browning (and assumed flavor difference with it). Glad you clarified that for me:mug:

It was actually a really good porter in the PM version, so i'm just hoping it turns out just as good.

I always shoot to be a little low. You can always add a half-gallon or whatever to the fermenter.

I kept track of boil off rates and they were pretty inconsistent; too many variables I guess.

I've usually gone for 14%-ish and have been pretty close, but since it was colder out i tried and for 16% and it just didnt work out this time.

oh well.. brew and learn:drunk:

Back