Please help a panicky noob on Christmas eve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelbelt

Reaction score
Hey folks,

My friend Karl referred me to this board a moment ago, when I called him panic-stricken. I used a recipe from a book to make Ethiopian-style T'ej, with the goal of bottling it and giving it as gifts to my family. The recipe said it would be ready to bottle in 2-4 weeks. Well, I went to bottle it tonight, and it doesn't appear entirely done.* My hydrometer is broken. It's 6:52pm on Christmas Eve. I'm up the proverbial creek, and the guy at the local home brew shop is no doubt home with his family.

Can anybody help me deduce what the likelihood is of exploding bottles or popping corks? Is there a point where it's less-than-ideal to bottle, but not unforgivable?

* = that is to say, it just doesn't taste completely mature. It's not champagne-fizzy, or even Bartles & Jaymes cheeseball wine fizzy. Just a bit young, and my wife thinks a tiny bit fizzy, though I couldn't detect it.

Thanks!

-mike:confused:

Not enough information!!!

Give the recipe!

Start date!

Yeast pitched, was a starter used?

Activity noted!

Temps!

Yadda yaddda yadda...

Pogo

Back