Wyeast 2124 blow off at lager temps??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
Well i just brewed a Vienna lager this past Sunday ( my first decoction ever and it went great!!). It was a 5.5 gallon batch with a O.G. of 1.049. So i pitched i starter of around 400 billion cells. I made a step starter and for the last setup i added about 1.4 liters of my first runnings which i water down and boiled to get a s.g. of .042. I pitched my yeast around 59f since that was as cold as my ground water can go. Then i stuck my fermenter in a ice bath in my ice chest where i ferment at. The starting temp was around 45 degrees and i had fermention begin slowly around 8 hours from pitching but after going for two days at 48-50 degrees i started to get blow off in my airlock. Is the normal for this yeast? Here is a pic of what it looked like before i cleaned it off.
IMG_20130207_074825.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh and sorry if i ramble on but i just wanted to write in all the factors!!

Totally normal. Isn't brewing fun! :)

Just because it's a lager yeast, doesn't mean it won't form a krausen or cause a blow off. I like using fermcap-S in my wort to prevent the krausen from raising much over 1" of headspace.

Totally normal. Isn't brewing fun! :)

Just because it's a lager yeast, doesn't mean it won't form a krausen or cause a blow off. I like using fermcap-S in my wort to prevent the krausen from raising much over 1" of headspace.

Lol brewing is to much fun sometime lol I had great time doing a decoction also. But this was my first time using wyeast 2124 and was suprised a yeast can react like that at those temps. Well in the yeasts defense I did feed them really well haha.

So i just got sick of cleaning my airlock out. I did it twice before I stuck a blow off tube on the bucket!!!

I'm having the same experience with my Bohemian Pilsner and this yeast, even with Fermcap. It's very happy at 9C (48F). Cheers!

I'm having the same experience with my Bohemian Pilsner and this yeast, even with Fermcap. It's very happy at 9C (48F). Cheers!

Yeah this is a great yeast!! And very versatile although I haven't used it in any type of steam beer yet I hear it works really well at ale temps.

Going to start sloooooowly increasing the temp on this bad boy, 4 days in. Just upped it from 48F to 49F, will go another degree tomorrow morning and night and continue until I reach 53 or 54. Then once I get to about 1.020 I'll bump it up 5F at a time until it's resting at 68F for 2-3 days, then cold crash and lager it under pressure for a month. Hoping it will be ready for the Super Bowl. Cheers!

Back