peach wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revid

Reaction score
I am making some peach wine for the first time and after a couple of weeks brewing my wine tastes vinegary.I put about 11/2 - two gallons of peaches and about 10 lbs of sugar in a 25 litre bucket with some wine yeast. This is my first attempt at making peach wine btw. Did i forget something ,any way to correct it? Wine is still "working" though.

I've had the same thing happen. Taste vinigery but is not. So far that taste has not aged out. Lots of suger helps mellow it, but not elimanate it. Its not a wine gone too dry problem. The taste starts early. I had two batches started the same time. Used the same stir spoon in both. Only one went sour, not both. My LHB fella is befuddeled. Suggestions to fixing it would be great!

read alot of recipes with tea and pectin added,should I have added these I wonder? Just thought a simple recipe would be suffice,lol.

If it is not clear yet then the yeast can add a sour taste. Give it time and that will probably get better with less suspended yeast. Pectic enzyme is not required but with fresh peaches it helps to break up the peaches, release more juice and allow the sediment to pack a bit better. Tea, raisins and bananas are often added to peach wines to add body because peach wines are often thin and watery by themselves.

You can leave this wine alone or add in some raisins or chopped bananas now. Either way time will be your best ingredient here.

tea ,as in a tea bag or some steeped tea? if so how much per gallon? What does the tea do??

what about frozen ripe bananas? The wife has some frozen for banana bread,lol.

I like to add black tea to peach wines because it adds a little tannin bite and I think it balances & compliments the peach flavors well. I actually add in the tea loose leaf right into the primary. I add in up to 1tbs (about 3 tea bags) for peach wines made from concentrate or 100% juice. If using fresh peaches with skins then I back off on the tea down to 1 tsp per gallon.

Bananas could be added now just fine. Per the great Jack keller on his site here:

jack Keller's peach wines

You use about 1lb of bananas per gallon.

Back