Spent Grain Cookies...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Spent grain cookies...one word for them - nomnomnom! OMG, they are awesome! If you ever have a chance to make thee, do yourself a favor. MAKE EM!! :ban::ban::ban:

I do...

Nutty Spent Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from a recipe featured by Seven Bridges Cooperative.
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups spent grains (or alternatively, 1.5 cups of your favourite grain meal, prepared and still wet)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Mix in the peanut butter, regular butter, sugar, milk and vanilla. Then add the flour, baking soda and salt. Once that’s all mixed, stir in the nuts and chips.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 425F for 8-10 minutes until the tops are just getting golden, but before the bottoms burn. Let sit on the pan for about five minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool. Serve with love.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies after batter sampling.

These look great - I didn't see where you added the grains - I'm assuming with the flour?

And this is what they look like BEFORE being baked and after. (or vice versa)

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

I do...

Nutty Spent Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from a recipe featured by Seven Bridges Cooperative.
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups spent grains (or alternatively, 1.5 cups of your favourite grain meal, prepared and still wet)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Mix in the peanut butter, regular butter, sugar, milk and vanilla. Then add the flour, baking soda and salt. Once that’s all mixed, stir in the nuts and chips.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 425F for 8-10 minutes until the tops are just getting golden, but before the bottoms burn. Let sit on the pan for about five minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool. Serve with love.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies after batter sampling.

Ive used this recipe for my dog treats

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/spent-grain-make-your-best-friend-cookies-87097/

I've tasted them and they taste "ok" but the grain hull are tough to chew and make them no good to eat for me. Of course my dog LOVES them. :ban:

Thanks GeorgiaTiger for posting - they look great! Looks like this weekends brew session will include a baking session.

I've not made the "people" version.. but, I've made the "doggy" version a few times and the dogs love 'em. As for C-Riders comment about the hulls being tough.. That's both good and bad. Some husks get stuck in my teeth.. but, I'll tell you.. for those of us who need fiber in our diets.. this doesn't play around. It'll scrub your bowels clean. and that a very good thing. I know that's not a particularly good thing to talk about.. but.. the truth is...... THAT is the reason they are so good for you. I mix a HEAPING tablespoon in my oatmeal every day. Makes the goin' great :ban:

I've tasted them and they taste "ok" but the grain hull are tough to chew and make them no good to eat for me. Of course my dog LOVES them. :ban:

BIAB folks using a very fine crush/grind might be able to avoid the tough to chew grain hull issue.

I made both the dog and human versions recently ....the dog biscuits came out perfect, nice and hard and crunchy (I had to taste-test 'em first) ;)
the human cookies were more soft and tender than I'd prefer but absolutely delicious. I'm planning on making again.

I made these today with the leftover grains from a wit.

They came out well, but the bites with chocolate chips in them were much better than the ones without. If / when I make them again, I think I'll be doubling the chocolate in there.

I also found that I needed to smash the batter down on the cookie sheet to get the shape / consistency I wanted. The first run were a bit too poofy and the middles didn't quite get done before the bottom was ready.

(I did leave out the nuts so that may have been better in the posted recipe.)

But thanks for posting!

Back