Hey, it's a beer label!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
label1.png

Here's hoping for some constructive criticism. I'm going for simple, easy to read, and fun. My skin is thick, so please critique away! Thanks

I like the font for the name of the beer. BIG and FAT it indeed is.

The tagline underneath (everything in black) is very difficult to read on my monitor. The yellow text is striking against the maroon BG.

I can barely read the "Warning:" text, but it looks like "propensity" is misspelled. The humor is good!

label2.png

Thanks for the feedback. Don't you just hate catching a typo right after you hit 'send'? I think v2 is a bit better, with the text standing out a bit more. Also, I increased the size of the png when I exported from Inkscape, so hopefully, it's a bit easier to read now.

Very Much like the recycle logo. I might have to steal it. It's one of my pet peeves when I don't get the bottles back.

I'd get "big, fat" out of the description. We know that from the bold title. Work some other adjectives into it. How bout, voluptuous, huge, humongous, obese, gigantic, etc.

onecolumbyte said:
Very Much like the recycle logo. I might have to steal it. It's one of my pet peeves when I don't get the bottles back.

I'd get "big, fat" out of the description. We know that from the bold title. Work some other adjectives into it. How bout, voluptuous, huge, humongous, obese, gigantic, etc.

Want an SVG of the recycle logo? I just Googled "recycle.svg" and picked out one I like. Thanks for the feedback, otherwise. I'm gonna keep "Big, Fat", for now.

A few pointers:

Always design with C.R.A.P. in mind:

Contrast:
Your black OG, ABV, IBU are still a bit hard to see.

Repetition:
Too many fonts. Use 1 or 2 fonts that are similary to style or thickness.
Use line thickness repetition. Maybe make the white box line thickness the same thickness as the brown outline.
Possibly use drop shadows on all text, and stick to 2 text colors: yellow and white.
Also, possibly use a white line around the oval as well, or maybe something else. It looks a little bare there.

Alignment:
Stick with the same layout throughout. You are including justification and center alignment.
Keep a uniform margin around the text and uniform line spacing.

Proximity:
I'm not a big fan of the product description or info (IBUs etc.) inside the white box. Maybe the description can stay, but usually this is the label area for the product name or a logo.
Also, the recycle info looks a bit out of place. It may look better rotated next to the warning label.

And last but not least, always think of the final product. How will this be printed? Will it be printed on rectangular stickers from your computer printer? Will all the extra white space have an affect on how the label looks when its on a bottle?

Overall, its a nice design. I like its simplicity and not using any logos/pics. A few tweaks here and there can make it really stand out.

-Jon

Jon:

Thanks! That's EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Graphic design background? Me, I'm an engineer, so anything more complicated than Times Roman and Arial is doing well. :) Look for a revision sometime after next week.

Those would look really nice as clear labels. Of course, that would probably be more expensive than it's worth... and more difficult to remove.

Nice design, though! I like the second version much better with the centered, yellow lettering.

jds said:
Jon:

Thanks! That's EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Graphic design background? Me, I'm an engineer, so anything more complicated than Times Roman and Arial is doing well. :) Look for a revision sometime after next week.

I'm also an Engineer...just know a little bit of design work doing screenprinting as a hobby, along with messing around in Photoshop and such.
:mug:

Back