Gas question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeer22

Reaction score
I am building a single tier brewstand using 3 bg14 banjo burners. Do I need a regulator for each burner? If not how will the heat be affected when I am heating my HLT and mash run at the same time.

Put needle valves between your manifold and your burners. Pump your manifold at fill blast from the tank/source, adjust flame from the needle valve.

Would a gas ball valve work or does it have to be a needle valve?

I just got done with my stand single teir with the bg14s and I used an adjustable regulator from amazon and gas balls valves from home depot and it runs great. The regulator to me was most important because once I got it adjusted right the burners looked great.

Here is a pic with them all going. The middle burner is a smaller banjo burner.

ForumRunner_20121025_123507.jpg

I use gas ball valves rather than needle valves and I can control the flame on mine with no issues. Although when you adjust its a subtle turn, my burners run great.

Do you guys use heat shields? How far do you set the burners from the kettle?

Mine are about 4 inches from the bottom of the keggle. I have three pieces of steel around the burner for the heat shield. I put a fourth one but it was starving the burner.

I plan on getting a 0-30psi high pressure regulator. I have the burners mounted already without heat shields, I can add them just not sure if I need to

Do you have welded or weldless fittings? When I was using mine the front got really hot even with shields.

Do you have a pic of your build so far?

josterhues said:
Do you have welded or weldless fittings? When I was using mine the front got really hot even with shields.

Do you have a pic of your build so far?

I have weldless on the keggels here are the only two pics I have

image-2427415816.jpg

image-2578168213.jpg

needle valves are made for regulating gas flow. ball valves are not meant to regulate flow, though they can be made to. just be aware that when you start using things in ways they werent intended, it can have unintentional results. like a 5 degree turn of the handle on a ball valve can be the difference between full on and full off.

also, because of the way ball valves are designed, its possible for them to cause explosions in gas systems when they are used for flamable gas metering. its highly unlikely at the pressures that we are talking about, but the sharp edge of the ball when only opened a small amount, coupled with a sufficiently high flow rate can cause heating. heat can ignite flamable gas. again, unlikely, but not impossible.

long story short- if given an option, use a needle valve to meter gas.

audger said:
also, because of the way ball valves are designed, its possible for them to cause explosions in gas systems when they are used for flamable gas metering. its highly unlikely at the pressures that we are talking about, but the sharp edge of the ball when only opened a small amount, coupled with a sufficiently high flow rate can cause heating. heat can ignite flamable gas. again, unlikely, but not impossible.

I agree that needle valves are the better choice, but I find the explosion thing dubious. How would the gas explode in the absence of oxygen? Is this a documented occurrence?

Adam

audger said:
needle valves are made for regulating gas flow. ball valves are not meant to regulate flow, though they can be made to. just be aware that when you start using things in ways they werent intended, it can have unintentional results. like a 5 degree turn of the handle on a ball valve can be the difference between full on and full off.

Where can I get needle valves?

I got mine from watercannon.com for less than $20 each. They are listed as chemical metering valves. They also have great prices on stainless quick connects.

Back