Mice....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
So I went to the basement today to do nothing in particular (look at my fermenters for no reason) and I noticed the drop ceiling was down in a spot over my equipment... A god damn mouse fell through and landed in my bottling bucket of all places. Well, being a mouse, it did what it would normally do I.E. Crap all over the bottom and then F**king die.

I washed it hard core with dish soap and a soft bristle scrub brush twice and its soaking for the 2nd time in diluted bleach... looks pretty clean again. Is this one of those "just toss the damn thing and get another" situations? Im planning on needing that bucket tomorrow, I dont wanna ride out to my LHBS... FML.

Nah,it sounds like you cleaned it quite thoroughly after catching it soon enough. Just sanitize it well before using it. Hair of the mouse anyone?

Its a white plastic bucket man, its way too hard to see if there are any micro scratches... but a good bleach soak should fill those cracks after some hours of sitting. Ill prob hit it with an extra starsan soak maybe at a little higher concentration

Its a white plastic bucket man, its way too hard to see if there are any micro scratches... but a good bleach soak should fill those cracks after some hours of sitting. Ill prob hit it with an extra starsan soak maybe at a little higher concentration

Scratched up buckets can harbor bacteria in spite of a very good cleaning! Even with bleach!

If it's just the bottling bucket, I wouldn't sweat it. If it were a fermentation bucket, maybe.

I use the bottling bucket as my sanitization vessel so it ALWAYS has starsan in it, it just happened to be dry at that particular moment lol

Nuke the tub and flip upside down future tubs for this and other relevant reasons. I would never want the thought of a dead mouse plus rodent poop to enter my mind while drinking my beer.

Here's how you catch them in the future:

2113-img_1159-9204.jpg

Scratched up buckets can harbor bacteria in spite of a very good cleaning! Even with bleach!

I just don't buy this anymore. All buckets, better bottles and glass carboys have small scratches and pits. I think the micro-scratch theory is an excuse for poor sanitation practices, IMHO.

I just don't buy this anymore. All buckets, better bottles and glass carboys have small scratches and pits. I think the micro-scratch theory is an excuse for poor sanitation practices, IMHO.

I can neither confirm or deny your theory, because I've never had an infection. I still take care not to scratch the inside of my buckets or better bottles, though. I don't want to be the guy that tests the theory at the risk of loosing a batch of beer. Perhaps you can scratch up some buckets, ferment in them, and let us know if your theory is correct!

I can neither confirm or deny your theory, because I've never had an infection. I still take care not to scratch the inside of my buckets or better bottles, though. I don't want to be the guy that tests the theory at the risk of loosing a batch of beer. Perhaps you can scratch up some buckets, ferment in them, and let us know if your theory is correct!

Certainly not inferring anything about your sanitation habits, was speaking generally. If/whenever I do have an infection, I'll probably reform my stance out of convenience...or check for rodents.:)

Idk guys.... I think im gonna just let it ride. My sanitization efforts are top notch, Im meticulous. Im gonna take the power washer to it tomorrow on the smallest jet and make sure that ***** is straight up assaulted by water. Im not telling anyone they're drinking a dead mouse, thats inside information for us homebrewer, thug life.

Is that LME on the floor?

I've seen recipes for cock ale... Now I guess it's time for that "Dead Mouse Stout"

I was thinking Mouse Entrale

In all seriousness OP, buckets are cheap. The bucket is probably perfectly fine but I would have a mental difficulty drinking brew passed through this bucket. IMO Certainly worth the 20 bucks or so it would cost to replace the bucket for your mental health.

I agree. I'm sure the bucket's fine with all the bleach and stuff, but I'd have a hard time getting past the thought that there was a mouse in my bucket.

Don't use rat poison because they will suffer and die where you can't find them...It could be anywhere in your house.

Get some high quality peanut butter. They really love the good stuff :) Then get a dozen or so T-Rex traps. They are easy to use and re-use. A dab of peanut butter and your set. Also be sure to close all potential gaps.

Those little guys are good.

Yes, the bag of LME was on the counter thawing and the little bugger knocked it down. Very difficult to wash out of concrete.

My first brew used a carboy that my brother gave me. It had one dead mouse in it and an extra tail...meaning that there had been two mice in it.

I dubbed the brew Rat Tail Ale

I am intrigued to learn of this multi-multi-molecular bacteria that is so small that it may fit in a crack in which a molecule of bleach will not fit.

I am intrigued to learn of this multi-multi-molecular bacteria that is so small that it may fit in a crack in which a molecule of bleach will not fit.

The recommendation to not use scratched up buckets came along way before I started brewing, so as I mentioned before I don't want to be the one to test the theory. I take care not to scratch mine when I clean them. I'd rather be safe than sorry. With that said, if you feel safe using scratched up buckets, then please feel free to do so...

Latest posts

Back