Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I think this will bet next brew!

The way you've got it worded it makes it sound like you're saying to use limeade instead of grapefruit but I'm assuming you mean grapefruit instead of limeade? Right? Also I'm not set up for kegging would the acidity and sweetness of the grapefruit juice throw off my bottle conditioning?

I meant for you to use the Simple Grapefruit...you could juice grapefruit yourself, however you would have to cut it with water and sugar (basic lemonade only using grapefruit) in order for it to not be too sour of a beer.

Just tested after 4 days in fermenter n it taste really good. I just added the simply limeade which I don't think it even needed cuz it taste good already but we will c when its done. I added 5 large lime peels I'm boil.

I was just looking back over my notes for the recipe in my beersmith and I just realized I never added any lime zest to the boil. Will it make a difference if I add it after fermentation dies down?..... I just added the Limeade yesterday.

I was just looking back over my notes for the recipe in my beersmith and I just realized I never added any lime zest to the boil. Will it make a difference if I add it after fermentation dies down?..... I just added the Limeade yesterday.

You can add it during the last week...while you may loose some lime flavor, this should still get it pretty close.

I think you could get very close to Shiners ruby red bird by subbing limeade for grapefruit and subbing lemon zest for equivalent amount of fresh ginger. Then I would add one ounce of fresh ginger at the same time you add the grapfruit-aide....haven't tried this but in theory it should be pretty close!

Slim,

The recipe on your 1st post says .5 lime zest. The post above says lemon zest, and the beer is Lemon-Lime Hefe. Does the recipe has a type-o on original post? Just checking, I used lime zest per recipe.

Slim,

The recipe on your 1st post says .5 lime zest. The post above says lemon zest, and the beer is Lemon-Lime Hefe. Does the recipe has a type-o on original post? Just checking, I used lime zest per recipe.

I mis-typed....it's lime zest, if you use lemon it would give you an unpleasant flavor up front.

SD-SLIM said:
I mis-typed....it's lime zest, if you use lemon it would give you an unpleasant flavor up front.

How would this recipe be if I only used sorachi ace?

lugo said:
How would this recipe be if I only used sorachi ace?

Very bitter, Sorachi ace has very high alpha acids...so the combo of the two hops really play off each other, so personally I wouldn't do it, but your the brewer and it will make a good beer!

Hey Slim I adjusted that Blonde recipe I came up with inspired by this recipe(im brewing it after I bottle yours in 9 days:D).... I posted it here about a month ago. If youd like the adjusted, and what I feel is a better balanced, recipe I can post it up or PM it to you.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Hey Slim I adjusted that Blonde recipe I came up with inspired by this recipe(im brewing it after I bottle yours in 9 days:D).... I posted it here about a month ago. If youd like the adjusted, and what I feel is a better balanced, recipe I can post it up or PM it to you.

After you brew it again, send me the recipe and some pictures and I will give it a shot in a month or two...super busy brewing for summer events, so no new beers at this time, but I will brew it soon!

just checked on it in fermenter. its at 1.018 and that after i poured in the simply limeaid. took a sample and its great. a perfect summer beer. cant wait to have it carbed up. i have been bottleing lately but i might keg this one.

SD-SLIM said:
Very bitter, Sorachi ace has very high alpha acids...so the combo of the two hops really play off each other, so personally I wouldn't do it, but your the brewer and it will make a good beer!

I guess I should have clarified what I meant. I used this recipe with only one ounce of sorachi ace .25 at 60 .50 at 20 and .25 at 7 minutes. Total if I remember is around 22 or 23 ibu. Hopefully it tastes great. I can't wait to try it.

I guess I should have clarified what I meant. I used this recipe with only one ounce of sorachi ace .25 at 60 .50 at 20 and .25 at 7 minutes. Total if I remember is around 22 or 23 ibu. Hopefully it tastes great. I can't wait to try it.

22-23 IBU while not bitter for most beer styles is actually bitter for a hefeweizen which normally is 8-15 IBU. When I made it and followed the recipe it came out to be about 13 IBU which I thought were going to be on the low side. Instead what I had was a beer that was drinkable by everyone, including my wife who doesn't like beer at all.

Now your beer while it will be more bitter than intended, which I'm sure will still turn out to be a very drinkable beer, compared to the style and recipe will be a very bitter beer.

Quick question for the home brewers out there. I used wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat yeast on the lemonlime hefe. Ran though the primary rack to secondary gave it a taste and holly f*cking bubble gum flavor. I know this strain of yeast tends to produce a bit of bubble gum taste but the flavor over takes the lime flavor anything I can do to help rid the bubblicious?

Quick question for the home brewers out there. I used wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat yeast on the lemonlime hefe. Ran though the primary rack to secondary gave it a taste and holly f*cking bubble gum flavor. I know this strain of yeast tends to produce a bit of bubble gum taste but the flavor over takes the lime flavor anything I can do to help rid the bubblicious?

how long has it been in the primary? im sure it will fade some .... still going to be an interesting mix of flavors

It was in the primary for about 3 weeks and in the secondary for a out 2 weeks. Will the bubble gum flavor subside with age?

wegchef said:
It was in the primary for about 3 weeks and in the secondary for a out 2 weeks. Will the bubble gum flavor subside with age?

Bubblegum off flavor is an ester that come from certain yeast (like the one you used), it usually means that you pitched the yeast while the wort was out of it's fermentation temp, in which this yeast let off esters that taste/smell like bubblegum....the can bottle age this and try 1 every 30 days to see if the off flavor diminishes to the point where you can drink it. Also keep in mind (if you brew in the future), this beer is 3 week from boil to bottle...no secondary should ever be used for a hefeweizen...and I would strongly recommend using the hefe IV yeast!

Just went down to the basement to check on the brews and noticed pellicle forming on top of the lemon lime here is this batch ruined?? Here's a pic just a side not I rocked the carboy back and forth like a knuckle head

image-2112345200.jpg

looks fine to me, not may things can survive in a alcoholic, acidic and anaerobic environment. With that said i would bottle a few and keg it just to keep it in the fridge where not much grows due to the temp.

Just for future reference, is there anything I can do differently? I have a wild ale aging on the table next to it, I know that sounds odd but could that affect my other brews at all???

If you were to submit this to a competition, would it be fruit beer or wheat beer?

Just went down to the basement to check on the brews and noticed pellicle forming on top of the lemon lime here is this batch ruined?? Here's a pic just a side not I rocked the carboy back and forth like a knuckle head

This does look like the beginning formation of Pellicle, which is caused due to oxygen exposure...so what ever you do, never use this equipment again, or expect the same result! But now that you have it, I would let it grow until the top is completely covered and you see tentacle like pieces coming down...at this point you would have just made a great sour beer!

By equipment do you mean the glass carboy, airlock, and even all the racking equipment. Should I replace all the equipment that it came in contact with or should I try to just deep clean everything?

By equipment do you mean the glass carboy, airlock, and even all the racking equipment. Should I replace all the equipment that it came in contact with or should I try to just deep clean everything?

Of course deep clean all of your equipment...but you should stop using your current carboy, stopper and airlock...one portion of that setup has allowed air to penetrate your beer causing this problem...you dont want to repeat this process unless you are purposely trying to make sour beers!

Hey Slim,

I'm gonna brew this on Saturday, but Simply Limeade is not available in my country. Does it only contain lime juice, or is it mixed with something else, like sugar or water?

Would it be OK to use fresh lime juice, or would this be too sour? Great recipe btw!

I'm going to brew this tomorrow! Slim, I noticed that you mashed for 45 minutes (this may have been covered somewhere in the 50 or so pages). Do you check for conversion or just go with it? Is the 45 minutes because of the high mash temp? Just wondering.

Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it!!

nemis79 said:
Hey Slim,

I'm gonna brew this on Saturday, but Simply Limeade is not available in my country. Does it only contain lime juice, or is it mixed with something else, like sugar or water?

Would it be OK to use fresh lime juice, or would this be too sour? Great recipe btw!

It's just a good limeade. Lime juice, water, and sugar.

Hey Slim,

Lime juice would distort the flavor....its actual a lime version of lemonade, earlier in this string I have included a recipe for making your own limeade...but i caution you, make sure that you soak you limes in cold bleach water (1 tablespoon bleach for 1 gallon of cold water), let it soak for at least 10 minutes...then make your limeade!

I'm going to brew this tomorrow! Slim, I noticed that you mashed for 45 minutes (this may have been covered somewhere in the 50 or so pages). Do you check for conversion or just go with it? Is the 45 minutes because of the high mash temp? Just wondering.

Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it!!

Well short answer...I have been brewing with my equipment for a long time, so I know what it can or cannot do....however this doesnt mean to deviate from the recipe, if you are doing all grain...make sure you can hold temps...if you are doing extract and/or after you reach boil, just make sure you can keep a rolling boil (with lid off) for the duration of the brew.
As for the recipe and the time...you are working with a good amount of grain, you could use less and force more extract at a higher temp but then the flavor profile changes...so by using more grain at a lesser temp, results in a very smooth drinkable beer....However you are the brewer, I can only tell you what has worked but at the end of the day its your beer...so pour your heart in to it and brew it the way you think is best...and should your recipe be amazing, share pictures and the recipe with all of us!
Happy Brewing!

Lime juice would distort the flavor....its actual a lime version of lemonade, earlier in this string I have included a recipe for making your own limeade...but i caution you, make sure that you soak you limes in cold bleach water (1 tablespoon bleach for 1 gallon of cold water), let it soak for at least 10 minutes...then make your limeade!

Thanks! What does the bleach do, sanitize the limes? Would it be OK to use PBW and Starsan instead?

I'm thinking of boiling the limeade in any case.

nemis79 said:
Thanks! What does the bleach do, sanitize the limes? Would it be OK to use PBW and Starsan instead?

I'm thinking of boiling the limeade in any case.

Yes the bleach works as a sanitizer of the outer skin, which can come in contact with pesticides, dirt and foreign yeast/bacteria...star San would work as well!

Blackhawkbrew said:
Just finished this one. All my numbers were dead on!! Now the hard part - waiting!

Yeah that's the worst part....I try and brew once a week, so that I always have something getting kegged or bottled and that helps!

Ditto here, everyone loved it. Said it was the perfect summer beer. It was very hot watching fireworks last night, but this made it much more tolerable.

Cudos SLIM

Lemon lime big hit at my fourth of July party...time to make more

Ditto here, everyone loved it. Said it was the perfect summer beer. It was very hot watching fireworks last night, but this made it much more tolerable.

Cudos SLIM

Glad everyone loved it...I cant wait for the summer to wind down so I can get back to experimenting with new recipes!

Latest posts

Back