Clearing Wine Faster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
First and foremost, I found this technique in a book about distilling. Seeing as though it is against the rules to post the book or the link, I will shorten the method the book suggests on clearing wine without reference to anything that might be illegal:

"...[Homebrewers/Winemakers] must fully clarify any fruit wine before cooking it. Rather than using clarifies, put the wine into 2 or 4 liter jugs and freeze them solid. Then thaw them out. This will result in perfectly clear and chill-stabilized wine...After the thawing is complete or maybe as much as a week after, the wine will be crystal clear."

Do you think this method would work for our purposes? If it is some crazy thing which would mess up wine for drinking, then it's probably not worth it. Has anyone ever thought of doing this with apfelwien, though? I know commercial wineries don't do it, and I'm guessing if they don't, it's not a viable method...

The yeast will drop out faster, but there is so much chemistry happening while a wine ages that it really does take several months to complete. While this is happening more solids fall out. Add so2 and even more solids fall out. So just let nature takes it's course and the wine will clear naturally.

cold crashing is not done by freezing solid, it is done in a temp controled freezer holding the temp around 29 to 32 degrees to help clear wine and reduce tartic acid. goggle the term for a more compleat description

jim

freezing apple cider is the old timers way of making applejack ,

its called freeze distilling, all the non alcoholic properties freeze and the alcohol stays in liquid form. This is all I am going to say because I could explain to you why its in your distilling book but im not going to on this forum haha.

The method described in the book seems to be a technique to knock out the yeast, not to concentrate. Instead of cold crashing and making the yeasties go to sleep it's a hard freeze to kill them.
Seems like way too much work transferring the batch in small jugs to freeze, then back in a larger container to wait for the dead yeast to settle and then bottle.

there is no reason to kill yeast if your distilling alcohol there ive done and said it, alcohol does not freeze, wine has only 13% alcohol in it so if you freeze it you seperate the properties and then moonshining it makes it even that much more potent....

Honda88 said:
there is no reason to kill yeast if your distilling alcohol there ive done and said it, alcohol does not freeze, wine has only 13% alcohol in it so if you freeze it you seperate the properties and then moonshining it makes it even that much more potent....
What are you saying? I was under the impression the op is trying to clear wine without additives not some moonshine adventure.

he found the technique in a book about distilling, freezing does not clear wine it seperates the alcohol from everything else. gravity will clear your wine you just have to know how to run a siphon properly.. peace brother....cheers

.[Homebrewers/Winemakers] must fully clarify any fruit wine before cooking it. Rather than using clarifies, put the wine into 2 or 4 liter jugs and freeze them solid. Then thaw them out. This will result in perfectly clear and chill-stabilized wine...After the thawing is complete or maybe as much as a week after, the wine will be crystal clear."

"cooking it" aka running it through a still, like i said before just let gravity do its job no need to freeze anything unless your a wild one haha

kinkothecarp said:
I will shorten the method the book suggests on clearing wine.....Do you think this method would work for our purposes?

He's asking if something he read in a book can be adapted to make his wine clear. Does it really matter what book it came from? You can get overlapping information from biodiesel production as well.

Yes you could do it. However time or cold crashing seems much much easier. Not to mention the possible contamination and oxidation risks from multiple transfers.

On top of that who's to say turning wine into a popsicle is really going to kill all of the yeast anyway? Yeast in frozen dough manages to spring back to life.

There is a product called turbo clear readily available at my lhbs but i am from Nz were it is legal to distill

Umm not sure of the ingredients but it's a two part product. Add one stir wait an hour then add the other and stir. I will try find some info

Back