Anybody have logbooks specifically for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S3NTYN3L

Reaction score
As the thread title states, anyone?

I see plenty of examples for beer and the like, but most of that stuff seems to be irrelevant for cider and mead type beverages.
At least, they seem that way to me when you account for my limited brewing experience...:drunk:

I just keep a brew book. Anything I ferment goes in there - beer, wine, cider, mead. It's just a typical 8.5 x 11 notebook. I only add what is pertinent to each recipe.

Care to provide an example image?
I'm mainly wondering about the layout/format it should take.

I figured those more experienced than I would have nailed down something that works well by now.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/log.asp

Has some good ideas to pick from.

You could put it in column format in a spreadsheet (it's what I do) and then you can do cool things like graph the SG to ABV numbers.

I put my actual log data also on Facebook for offsite storage.

Wine Log.jpg

i have them all saved as notepad documents on my external HDD, with all useful information about each recipe

Care to provide an example image?

I'm on vacation now, otherwise I'd be glad to. I do always keep a list of this information though:

Batch Number
Brew Date
Recipe Name
Yeast Type
OG/FG/ABV
Ingredients
Process
Variations attempted w/ date

I'm on vacation now, otherwise I'd be glad to. I do always keep a list of this information though:

Batch Number
Brew Date
Recipe Name
Yeast Type
OG/FG/ABV
Ingredients
Process
Variations attempted w/ date

That's more along the lines of what I was asking for, thanks for that!

Please, if at all possible, remember to post an example of your layout(s) for me when you get back from your vacation.

(Yeah, I'm a perfectionist and somewhat anal about small stupid details, lol.:eek:)

Speaking of OCD, I made myself a brewing journal using Adobe InDesign, but I'm sure Word or something similar would work too, just not as fancy.

I keep three sections:
1) Costs
2) Recipes
3) Journal

Costs - I keep a rounded log of brewing-related costs because I was curious if it would ever be financially feasible. Includes equipment, yeasts, juice, bottles etc. along with a running tally of the number of 12 oz bottles we have made. I'm on my fourth 5-gallon batch and each bottle is costing about $1.36, less than at a bar, but still a little more than store-bought 6-pack. I'll be excited when each one is less than a dollar.

Recipes - The recipe for each batch we do, including ingredients, yeast, OG, SG at various points, FG, final yield (in bottles), process notes, and total time. Granted, we haven't "re-used" a recipe yet, as I'm still in the experimental changing of one factor each batch to decide what juice, yeast, and sugars we prefer.

Journal - The "diary" type section where I jot down what I did on a certain day. I keep the date, but also not that it is, say "Batch #3 Day 15" so I don't have to do the math each time. I find it helpful because when you brew around a busy work schedule sometimes you forget just how many weeks it's been in secondary. Also if something worked well, I can go back and look at it for reference.

So yeah, pretty detailed - sorry - but that's what I do. I, of course, seem to like highly detailed information, despite finding that brewing is not THAT exact of a science :cross:

Back