Kettlehouse Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started home brewing and would really love the recipe as well, I live near Missoula and in my family if we aren't drinking Cold Smoke, we are drinking Pabst. All or nothing.

send them an email - they will prob be VERY helpful

I contacted them a few months back about the olde bong water recipe and the brewer there, Paul, was super helpful. gave me his actual recipe with weights etc (of course had to scale down from 14bbl) and lots of tips on using hemp seeds etc

I'd love to see the recipe for Cold Smoke if you can get it

Sent them an email, here is what I got:
Here's the recipe and generic procedures for a 30bbl batch.... you'll have to scale back the math for your brew size. (1bbl=31gallons)

Grain bill: 1700 #s 2-row, 60 #s 120L, 38 #s Black Malt, 17#s Roasted Barley. Add the grain at a 2.5 water to grain ratio.
Mash in at 148-150 degrees F. Raise temp to 168Degrees after complete conversion.
2 hour boil. 10.5 IBUs at first hopping (10 minutes into the boil). 50 #s brown sugar with 30 minutes remaining. 55.8 oz Goldings at flame out.
Target original gravity: 1.066 Target final gravity: 1.012

Thanks to Paul Roys for the help, I am definitely excited to brew this.

Arise dead post, I've got some good news for you. Sent Kettlehouse an email, here is the response I got:
"Here's the recipe and generic procedures for a 30bbl batch.... you'll have to scale back the math for your brew size. (1bbl=31gallons)

Grain bill: 1700 #s 2-row, 60 #s 120L, 38 #s Black Malt, 17#s Roasted Barley. Add the grain at a 2.5 water to grain ratio.
Mash in at 148-150 degrees F. Raise temp to 168Degrees after complete conversion.
2 hour boil. 10.5 IBUs at first hopping (10 minutes into the boil). 50 #s brown sugar with 30 minutes remaining. 55.8 oz Goldings at flame out.
Target original gravity: 1.066 Target final gravity: 1.012"

Thank Paul Roys, Kettlehouse Headbrewer, for the help. So excited to try brewing this myself.

Here's the conversion to a 5 Gallon batch... Let me know if my math is wrong.

9.14# 2 Row
0.322# 120L
0.204# Black Malt
0.091# Roasted Barley

10.5 IBUs @ 110
0.27# Brown Sugar @ 30
0.3 OZ Goldings @ 0

Note this is for a 2 hour boil, so adjust accordingly.

Here's the conversion to a 5 Gallon batch... Let me know if my math is wrong.

9.14# 2 Row
0.322# 120L
0.204# Black Malt
0.091# Roasted Barley

10.5 IBUs @ 110
0.27# Brown Sugar @ 30
0.3 OZ Goldings @ 0

Note this is for a 2 hour boil, so adjust accordingly.

Math looks good, and that is true that it is a two hour boil. On another note, the 10.5 IBUs are supposed to come from CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus), so go with one of those. Here is my conversion for a partial mash recipe with the numbers rounded slightly.

5.4 lb light DME
0.25 lb brown sugar
5.1 oz 120L Crystal malt
3.2 oz Black Malt
1.4 oz Roasted Barley
0.3 oz Golding hops (at flameout)
10.5 IBUs from Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus

Math looks good, and that is true that it is a two hour boil. On another note, the 10.5 IBUs are supposed to come from CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus), so go with one of those. Here is my conversion for a partial mash recipe with the numbers rounded slightly.

5.4 lb light DME
0.25 lb brown sugar
5.1 oz 120L Crystal malt
3.2 oz Black Malt
1.4 oz Roasted Barley
0.3 oz Golding hops (at flameout)
10.5 IBUs from Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus

So I love drinking coldsmoke and am a very, very, very inexperienced homebrewer. I'd like to start a batch this weekend but have some questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with.

1. your comment about the 2-hr boil, if I'm going for a 5-gallon batch, how long should I boil it?

2. Are any of these items in the recipe difficult to find?

3. 10.5 IBUs (what/where)?

Boil time isn't really dependent on batch size unless you need to boil volume down but KH does a 2 hour boil for most/all of their brews afaik

per the recipe above it says 10.5 IBU at 10min into boil

so boil for 10min, add 10.5 IBU of CTZ (amount will be determined by your AA% for 110min boil - prob not very much at all) the boil for another 110min then add your goldings

So I love drinking coldsmoke and am a very, very, very inexperienced homebrewer. I'd like to start a batch this weekend but have some questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with.

1. your comment about the 2-hr boil, if I'm going for a 5-gallon batch, how long should I boil it?

2. Are any of these items in the recipe difficult to find?

3. 10.5 IBUs (what/where)?

1. Use this equation for calculating the IBUs-> IBU=(ounces of hops x % alpha acid of hop x utilization)/(gallons of wort x 1.34). Some little conversion factors, 27% for a 90 minutes boil, 25 % for a 60 min boil. I would convert for a two hour boil.

2. All these ingredients should be available at your local HBS. I have been to Belgrade Liquor and Homebrew... not sure what they have.

3. IBU-International Bittering Unit. Basically a way of quantifying how much alpha acids have been extracted into your beer. See recipe for values.

Fellas, I just found this thread and couldn't be more excited! Cold smoke is probably my favorite MT beer out there and I've been wanting to brew a clone for quite some time now. A couple questions though as I'm still pretty green when it comes to AG brewing. I'm assuming since I'm only making a 5 gallon batch that I DON'T want to boil for two hours...if I only boil for an hour, would I add the IBU's at 50 min, the brown sugar at 15 min, and goldings at flameout? And what about those IBU's? Have you guys figured out the correct amount/weight of CTZ to add? Is that a hop blend that you can easily find? Or rather just pick one of the varieties and go with it?
Thanks for the help...I'll be checking in on this thread often, can't wait to brew it up!

One other question...I didn't see anything that mentioned a particular yeast, any ideas on which strain to use? THANKS!!

Hey hopdropper,

I went to Belgrade Liquor and the gentleman there was a great help. He said that for, basically an amatuer like me without advanced equipment, there was no way that I could follow that recipe to a T. I wouldn't have any way to mash the barley? and extract the malt. So he gave me 1-bag of malt extract and 1-tub of light extract. This came to about 8-lbs of the 9lb specified in the recipe. He mentioned that I probably wouldn't want to use a full 9-lbs because the extract should be stronger and 8-lbs is probably a good place to end up. He also did a IBU to Hops conversion and came out with 1.35-oz of hops instead of the CTZ. I am still unsure what CTZ is, but I used the golden hops that Belgrade Liquor supplied. I also used an Edinburough Yeast which comes in liquid form (my first time using this) and am extremely impressed. My bubbler is going crazy bubbling almost 100% of the time now. It started out at about every 5-seconds, but that has increased substantially over the first 24-hours. I boiled it for 2-hrs, but prior to that, I steeped all of the Barley/Grains for 30-minutes (again since we don't have the advanced equipment). After making it all day Sunday, I popped open a ColdSmoke to drink, and was amazed that the taste of the ColdSmoke almost exactly mimmicked the smell of the brew. I'm really excited to try it in 3-4 months.

-Scott

1. Use this equation for calculating the IBUs-> IBU=(ounces of hops x % alpha acid of hop x utilization)/(gallons of wort x 1.34). Some little conversion factors, 27% for a 90 minutes boil, 25 % for a 60 min boil. I would convert for a two hour boil.

2. All these ingredients should be available at your local HBS. I have been to Belgrade Liquor and Homebrew... not sure what they have.

3. IBU-International Bittering Unit. Basically a way of quantifying how much alpha acids have been extracted into your beer. See recipe for values.

Hey Mizoo,

I just saw this after my previous post. Using the equation above:

10.5 IBU = (1.35-oz Hops x ?% alpha acid of hop x ~29% utilization)/(5-gallons of wort x 1.34 conversion)

so does an alpha acid of 1.8% seem right? low? or high? Most that I've seen on the web are around 4%-5%. So now I'm a little concerned. I'll look on the package when I get home to identify more info.

-Scott.

did you use the entire 1.35oz for bittering or did you use some for a flameout addition?

8lbs of extract is going to be WAY stronger than this recipe is calling for

mizoobrew did an extract conversion above for 5.4lbs of dry extract

did you show the supply guy the all grain or the extract recipe?

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the info...I frequent the homebrew aisle at Belgrade Liquor myself. I'll definitely stop in and talk to them. Keep us posted on how the Coldsmoke clone turns out...it's high on my list, hopefully going to get it going in the next couple weeks. If it even tastes REMOTELY like the original I'm going to be real happy!

terrapinj,

I did use 1.35 oz for bittering and .3 oz at flameout... I guess, this will be interesting. I didn't see the 5.4lbs comment (even though I posted a reply on it, all I saw was the 9lb). I used 7lbs of extract in liquid (molasses) form... and 1lb of dry powdered extract. I showed the supply guy two out of the three recipes the all grain and the 5-gallon batch, but not the extract recipe...

Will keep everyone up-to-date on the process... What's everyones opinion on duration of the 2nd stage fermentation? first stage is usually 7-9 days right?

since you increased the extract amount you will prob be ok with the increased bittering additions as well - may not be exactly like cold smoke but I bet you end up with a tasty beer

i only use secondary for aging - i think general consensus is you want to at least give it 2 weeks in primary, many here advocate 3-4 weeks primary with no secondary at all

the real answer is that it depends, you always want to check the gravity before you transfer or bottle etc. for a beer like this I don't really think secondary would be necessary

hey scott...how's the coldsmoke clone coming along? keep me posted...real curious how close it tastes to the real-deal. thanks!

also...did a quick conversion...correct me if i'm wrong here, been awhile since algebra class but....

oz hops needed = (IBU X gallons wort X 1.34) / (%alpha acid x utiliztion)

from what i've read online, the CTZ hop variety is basically just columbus hops, not a mixture/blend. so figure about 12.2% alpha acid for columbus hops, and 25% utilization for an hour boil and 5 gallons of wort. so....

oz hops needed = (10.5 x 5 x 1.34) / (12.2 x 25)

or in other words, .2 oz columbus hops (plus the additional kent goldings at flameout). i'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out.

also...did a quick conversion...correct me if i'm wrong here, been awhile since algebra class but....

oz hops needed = (IBU X gallons wort X 1.34) / (%alpha acid x utiliztion)

from what i've read online, the CTZ hop variety is basically just columbus hops, not a mixture/blend. so figure about 12.2% alpha acid for columbus hops, and 25% utilization for an hour boil and 5 gallons of wort. so....

oz hops needed = (10.5 x 5 x 1.34) / (12.2 x 25)

or in other words, .2 oz columbus hops (plus the additional kent goldings at flameout). i'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out.

This is my next brew as well, waiting for one of my carboys to open up. I was told when I contacted Kettlehouse the CTZ means Columbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus. I agree that it isn't supposed to be a combination, but rather any one of these hops. The impression I got is that they were basically using whatever high alpha acid hops were available. Using Colombus should work out very well!
On another note, what type of yeast are people planning on using? I think this will be one of the deciding factors as to whether this ends up being a true clone or just kind of similar? I've never used a Scotch Ale yeast before, so I'm not sure exactly what to think.

hey scott...how's the coldsmoke clone coming along? keep me posted...real curious how close it tastes to the real-deal. thanks!

Thanks for the nudge. I was planning on posting today anyways. :mug:

Well, I bottled yesterday. And using the Specific Gravity, it's a 6% alcohol brew. I've been using a droid app to keep track of batches (Zym Tools) and it calculated 1.062 (starting) and 1.016 (ending) to be 6%. I always thought it was just starting - ending or 1.062 - 1.016 to calculate Alc% so that would be 4.6%... I, obviously decided against a secondary fermentation period. The agressiveness of the fermentation died down after about 9-days and slowed exponentially until yesterday. I added some priming sugar before bottling to help the carbonation process along and came out with right at 50-bottles (600-oz vs 640oz in 5-gallons) I think the majority of this was due to being extra conservative on what I allowed to be bottled.

My plan now is to let the bottles age for 4-5 weeks. I have a half bottle I'll probably drink next week just to see how it turned out, so I'll keep you posted.

Scott

Not sure about the yeast...was going to ask at the local store about a good dry yeast for a scotch ale. Maybe check with Northern Brewer or Midwest too and see what they send with their kits. Scott...regarding alcohol content....what I've been using is this...

ABV = (OG - FG) X 131.25

He mentioned Edinburough Scottish Ale Yeast in his post.

I'm going to brewing this this weekend (pending weather). I'll be doing all-grain (4th AG batch ! ) as well as using Wyeast (Scottish) - 1728. terrapinj has mentioned another beer Kettlehouse makes is fermented at 70* with White Labs 001 (California Ale). Depending on how this batch turns out I might try that yeast next go around.

As remuS mentions, I did use athe Edinburough Scottish Ale Yeast, per the recommendation of the local help. Take it or leave it, but I should also state that I am new to this entire process (3rd batch ever). You gotta start somewhere right?

The guys at Belgrade Liquor have always been very helpful. I would recommend ordering ingredients and equipment online though; Belgrade Liquor is a little expensive. Though it is nice to have them for those last minute purchases that you may have forgotten.

I work for a company based in Bozeman, MT and I had this DELICIOUS beer at Montana Aleworks. I too, am very curious about how this turns out.

hey remus...just curious where you buy your supplies online. i've checked out austin homebrew, midwest and northern brewer. i'd like to find the best place to buy individual grains for this recipe. it looked like austin homebrew will even let you order fractional amounts (down to the ounce) which is kind of nice. any suggestions?

hi hopdropper - I've always had good luck with Midwest supplies as well as MoreBeer. I've been doing MoreBeer lately mainly because they have treated me well.

On that note, if you have a grain mill you can get the grains from Madison River brewery in Belgrade for more then half the cost online. If you go that route, make sure you call them early on a weekday (usually around 2 or 3) as well as do the pickup early as well (usually the next day). They get busy as the night goes.

Cold Smoke in the books. Pitched a Edinburgh starter and set the chamber to 67F +/-0.5. Seemed like that mash temp was a bit low for a heavier beer, but ill do as I'm told.

Cold Smoke in the books. Pitched a Edinburgh starter and set the chamber to 67F +/-0.5. Seemed like that mash temp was a bit low for a heavier beer, but ill do as I'm told.

Just pitched mine the other day as well, got an OG of 1.064, close enough :D jlovgren406, I am actually in Bozeman these days as well. Message me in a few weeks and we can compare results.

And alright, now have my first go at the Cold Smoke clone in bottles and carbonating/aging. I'll probably get impatient and pop one this coming weekend, and then a week after that. Report to come soon!

Any of you guys try your Coldsmoke yet? Wondering how it turned out...just ordered the grain yesterday. Probably brew it up after Thanksgiving.

A little off the topic of Coldsmoke (but still pertaining to SW Montana beers)...have you guys tried the Bitterroot Breweries "Last Cast Black IPA"? Guess it's a limited release beer... and it's outstanding. Ranks right up there with Coldsmoke and Hopzone as my top 3 MT brews. Wonder if Bitterroot would be willing to give up a recipe like Kettlehouse???

I loved kettlehouse back in '96-'97 when it was transitioning from a U-Brew to brewery.....I lived right down the street.....spent many a afternoon and evening there....only to stumble across the bridge and end up at one of the many "late night" establishments...Top Hat, Jays Upstairs, The Ritz, Rhino, or Charlies....sooooo many good times, no wonder it took me soo long to graduate....

A little off the topic of Coldsmoke (but still pertaining to SW Montana beers)...have you guys tried the Bitterroot Breweries "Last Cast Black IPA"? Guess it's a limited release beer... and it's outstanding. Ranks right up there with Coldsmoke and Hopzone as my top 3 MT brews. Wonder if Bitterroot would be willing to give up a recipe like Kettlehouse???

shoot them an email! microbreweries are often very willing to give up their recipes to stoked consumers like yourself! and then post it here once you get it...

Back