How should I dry hop my Galaxy Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenHops

Reaction score
I made, or at least attempted to make, a Galaxy Ale this past Saturday. Recipe as follows:

Batch Size 5:0 gallons
Est OG 1.062
Est IBU 50

9.0 lbs Pilsner
1.0 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs Crystal 40
0.5 lbs Corn Sugar

1.0 oz Columbus 14.5% 60 min
1.0 oz Galaxy 12.5% 7 min
1.0 oz Galaxy 12.5% 0 min
dry hop -- Galaxy, amount to be determined.

Yeast WLP002 (part of cake from prior batch)

Mashed at 150 for 90 min.

The question remains, how much Galaxy should I use to dry hop in order to get a feel for the character, but not overdo it?

For background, I suspect this beer will be a little thin. If I were making it over I'd leave out he corn sugar, bump the Crystal to 1 lbs and up the mash temp a few degrees. I was distracted by college FB What can I say? It's beer in the fermenter -- aka water under the bridge . The yeast are working away at a nice 64 degrees F. :ban:

The WLP002 might seem out of character, but it's the only yeast I had in sufficient quantity. It was from the rinsed cake of an ESB I made several weeks ago. That batch fermented from 1.068 to 1.020. I split up the rinsed yeast and used some on an IPA eight days ago. The IPA fermented from 1.078 to 1.016 (as of Saturday).

The Galaxy Ale OG was 1.068. I ended up with 4.5 gallons of wort rather than 5. I decided to leave it as is, rather than top if off with water. After trub loss and hop absorption the rest may just about squeeze into a 3 gallon corny, which is a nice size to take the Christmas parties.

I just brewed something almost the same last weekend, but used C20 instead of C40, munch instead of Vienna, and no sugar. 1.051, 44 ibus. I planned to do 1.5 oz dryhop and if isn't enough I will add some keg dryhops.

1.5 oz it is! Thanks!

I wonder what goes well with Galaxy. I usually dry hop with several hops. No good reason except that it's worked will in the past. I like using Amarillo. Using it in combination stretches my supply. Last year I ran short. Hopefully I'm better stocked this year. :mug:

Galarillo sounds interesting. Not on this batch, though. I want it to be all Galaxy. If I don't like Galaxy I can always throw some Amarillo into the keg, as mentioned.

I've become a hophead of late. Perhaps from the excitement of a new crop year. For some reason when anything is in short supply I just want it more. :rockin:

Back