Help... 2nd Batch. Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnorkySnacks

Reaction score
Doing an IPA... been in fermentation exactly 1 week today. Temperature is at 68. Took a gravity reading (1.014l. FG expected around 1.010. Hpwever when taking reading... heavy layer if flaky like substance on inside bucket lid and above liquid level on inside of bucket lid. Everything smells good... sanitation is way up to par. Is this normal? If so, when should i bottle? If its not normal, what should i do?. Thanks for any advice. PS... i hope im just being overly concerned on this issue.

If something is funky this early it should be detectable in the aroma, if you know what you're looking for. It should smell like dough rising in the oven with that bowl of hot water keeping it warm. Bad is that sour dough starter that went south.

Does not smell sour. Actually smells like a really good IPA. But is the heavy build of residue on inside of lid and sides normal

It sounds like you had a vigorous fermentation and the krausen got to the top of the bucket and dried as it receaded . No biggie I think your fine

It points to normal for me. Those last few points can take a little longer than expected, and as ChaosStoat sayas, that residue is likely just dried yeast and wort from the krausen. Did you ever see anything in your airlock/blowoff?

send a picture if you can. it would help to see exactly what you're talking about. but from the way it sounds it should be right on track. sounds like krausen, which is very normal.

cheers!

Has the Krausen dropped? If not there's no way it's done. If so then I'd still put the lid back on and check on it in another week or so. Some yeasts/fermentations can take over a week or two depending on temp.

Yes.. was very vigorous. Beer coming out of airlock within 14 hours. Def looks luke dried yeast. It is flaky and powdery like substance. Like i said its been a week... should i bottle? I was planning on goving it about 10 - 12 days. I dont want to wait to long and risk any spoilage. I hate being new to this... feel like a worrying dope. But your feedback and advice definitely appreciated. Thanks agaon

If sanitation was good, you have no real worries leaving it in the primary for longer. Believe me, it will make a difference in your final product. Unless you have good reason to suspect your beer is infected (you found a fly swimming in your wort, or there is a film or bad smell to your beer) I would suggest just leaving it where it is for a little longer.

Let it go to 3 weeks befor you bottle. Allthough the beer is done fermenting its "Aging" Dont worry it wont spoil form sitting in the bucket for 3 weeks. Yes beer can get infected but if your sanitation is sound their is nothing to worry about. Also Read this http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html Their is alot to learn as a new brewer and this will get you off on the right foot. Also dont worry about "feeling like a dope" Everyone has been where your at. Remember this is mostly a Hands off hobby. Dont worry, be patient and let the yeast do their job Basicly you give the yeast the proper conditions to grow in and they do all the work. All you need to do is bottle/keg/drink it :)

Back