Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it has got me re inspired to brew again like the day one feeling. i just want to brew and learn and also drink 2 styles. ill have to try your pumpkin ale next fall. i think im gonna fork out membership soon i want in on all those great swaps and epic brew challenges, some of the 999 recipes are just insane.

OH MY GOD...I just found a bottle of this in one of my cubby holes beer storage places in my loft.

It is amazing!!!!!!!

I can't believe how great this beer is. It's what every pumpkin beer I ever tried and was disapointed with should be. It has a quarter inch light caramel/tan head, lots of lacing on the glass. It has a surprising definite pumpkin and spice taste, cut with a dark caramel/molasses toffee note to it. It has a pronounced bitterness, not from hops but a roasty coffee bite to it. It's got no hop aroma, but instead has a burnt sugar chocolate and coffee smell.

All in all this is one of the best beers I ever made. I really wish I had more of this. I guess I may have to brew this in the late summer for fall.

I'm blown away.

Dayum!!!!!

OH MY GOD...I just found a bottle of this in one of my cubby holes beer storage places in my loft.

It is amazing!!!!!!!

I can't believe how great this beer is. It's what every pumpkin beer I ever tried and was disapointed with should be. It has a quarter inch light caramel/tan head, lots of lacing on the glass. It has a surprising definite pumpkin and spice taste, cut with a dark caramel/molasses toffee note to it. It has a pronounced bitterness, not from hops but a roasty coffee bite to it. It's got no hop aroma, but instead has a burnt sugar chocolate and coffee smell.

All in all this is one of the best beers I ever made. I really wish I had more of this. I guess I may have to brew this in the late summer for fall.

I'm blown away.

Dayum!!!!!

Awesome!!! I wouldn't say pumpkin beer is my top favorite but it is top 3 and something I look forward to all year. :mug:

What did you like better, the ale or the porter? I'm just getting into AG and don't know if I want to mess around with partigyle brewing. I did something similar with extract by making a golden ale and turning half of that into blueberry but with an extract, I just took half of the golden ale and added blueberry to it. I don't know how easy it is for AG.

So long story short, I would probably try to convert your recipe into either all porter or all ale.

I don't know if they distribute nationally but have you had Post Road Pumpkin Ale? I had dinner at their brew pub in Maine. When you order a pint of it, they coat the rim with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. My gf isn't a huge beer lover and she loved that beer.

Revvy said:
Pumpkin Porter
(First Runnings)

Calculated as 60% of the original grainbill

2.5 gallon batch

(equivalent to)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 6.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.97 %
11.8 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
11.8 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
3.9 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %

(Hops)
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

(Pumpkin/Spices)
0.25 tsp Ground Allspice (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Ginger (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Ground Cinnamon (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
3.75 lb Canned Pumpkin (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.90 %
Bitterness: 24.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.1 SRM

hey revvy..
I'm thinking of trying a batch of your pumpkin porter and was hoping for a quick bit of guidance.

I don't want to do a partigyle... Just the porter.

So, what I'm thinking, is to take your "estimate" recipe, and scale to my batch size.
My question...Is this "estimate" based off 60% efficiency?

If so, I'd have to scale for batch size and efficiency...correct?

Also, looking back do you have any things you would change?

Thanks!!

No the recipe in total was written with a base of 75% efficiency which is what my Beersmith is set for.

The 60% above comes from the idea that in all grain your first runnings contribute 60% to the overall OG of your beer, and second runnings provide 40%.

The only difference is that in pratyguilling we don't combine runnings, we make two beers from them.

So what I did originally was create a recipe and then for the break down recipes just calculated what a grain bill based on 60% and 40% would be.

So that recipe above is really an "as is" recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch of just the porter. Treat that like any other recipe nd if you are making a 5 gallon batch double it.

I don't think there's anything I would change, I can't recall specifics but it was a pretty tasty recipe.

Best of luck. Keep me posted.

Revvy said:
No the recipe in total was written with a base of 75% efficiency which is what my Beersmith is set for.

The 60% above comes from the idea that in all grain your first runnings contribute 60% to the overall OG of your beer, and second runnings provide 40%.

The only difference is that in pratyguilling we don't combine runnings, we make two beers from them.

So what I did originally was create a recipe and then for the break down recipes just calculated what a grain bill based on 60% and 40% would be.

So that recipe above is really an "as is" recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch of just the porter. Treat that like any other recipe nd if you are making a 5 gallon batch double it.

I don't think there's anything I would change, I can't recall specifics but it was a pretty tasty recipe.

Best of luck. Keep me posted.

I'm somewhat familiar w partigyle...at least the general process. Recipe formulation is still not firmly established in my head...hence the confusion.

So if I use your 60% estimate grainbill with a sparge I'll get 100% of the original 75% efficiency?

Or, should I use the main base recipe--marked "original" in your post?

Thanks for the help!!

I'm somewhat familiar w partigyle...at least the general process. Recipe formulation is still not firmly established in my head...hence the confusion.

So if I use your 60% estimate grainbill with a sparge I'll get 100% of the original 75% efficiency?

Or, should I use the main base recipe--marked "original" in your post?

Thanks for the help!!

Yeah, you treat this recipe as a normal recipe.

The recipe you quoted and sent me, the one with 5.8 pounds of 2-row. THAT recipe is what the first runnings of the partygile is equal too.

This is the grainbill for the partyguille

11 lbs oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.97 %
1 lbs 8 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
1 lbs 8 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %

60% or the first runnings is equal to the recipe you want to brew. That is a standalone recipe.

Pumpkin Porter
(First Runnings)

Calculated as 60% of the original grainbill

2.5 gallon batch

(equivalent to)

5 lbs 6.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.97 %
11.8 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
11.8 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
3.9 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %

(Hops)
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

(Pumpkin/Spices)
0.25 tsp Ground Allspice (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Ginger (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ground Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Ground Cinnamon (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
3.75 lb Canned Pumpkin (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.90 %
Bitterness: 24.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.1 SRM

If you wanted to brew a straight amber ale, then you'd brew the one that is equivelent to 40%

Revvy any thoughts on a 10g partigyle split into two 5g batches? Can you dilute the first runnings down so you don't make a barleywine? With a 10g grainbill the first runnings would be very strong. I like the idea of a two for one...any thoughts?

Ok revvy...I took a stab at your pumpkin porter today.
Boy, that pumpkin is a bugger.

Things went pretty well (besides the huge mess) and the gravity sample tasted pretty darn good....here's hoping I nailed this on the first try.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

The way I look at the parti gyle is that it is essentially a free beer. You get what comes out and it likely won't be to style, but who cares. It is free beer.

I hate to dig up this old thread, but I am attempting to plan a partigyle for next month, and I have a few questions.

Revvy says that you must plan to double the base recipe of the original 5 gallon (in Revvy's case, 2.5 gallon) beer. This equates, roughly, to a grain bill that costs twice as much as if you were only making the one beer. How is paying twice for two beers getting free beer?

I have done the math (I think I have, at least), extrapolated from the partigyle table from Mosher, and I come up with 15 pounds of base malt (A SMaSH with maris otter, but that is besides the point). But even if I mash thin, I can only get something along the lines of 4.7 gallons preboil. Not entirely sure how this is supposed to be a big enough wort to get up to the 1.100 OG I have calculated, even without adding water or a tiny bit of dilute sparge wort.

I supposed my real question is:

If I mean to brew two five gallon batches, should I plan around a ten gallon grain bill? And if yes, how on Earth would this have been cost effective for our old timey past brethren?

Revvy says that you must plan to double the base recipe of the original 5 gallon (in Revvy's case, 2.5 gallon) beer. This equates, roughly, to a grain bill that costs twice as much as if you were only making the one beer. How is paying twice for two beers getting free beer?

You have to look at the full quote:

I made a barley wine and then added some other grain to make a porter. I also did an imperial stout 2nd runnings that turned into a roasty brown that was kind of awesome. The way I look at the parti gyle is that it is essentially a free beer.

If you're making a huge beer like a barleywine or RIS, then you're not sparging off anything close to all the sugars in the mash, because that would dilute the wort far more than you want. So in those cases, you are indeed getting free wort by doing a second runnings beer.

I am tentatively planning to brew 5.5g of the porter this coming weekend, in order for it to be well and truly ready by halloween.

Here's what I've come up with in brewtarget:

Pumpkin Porter - Robust Porter
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.811 gal
Boil Time: 90.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%%
Bitterness: 31.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 28 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 40 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72%% 120 L
Brown Malt (British Chocolate) Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 70%% 65 L
Munich Malt Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 80%% 9 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 60%% 350 L
Total grain: 14.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
East Kent Goldings 4.3%% 2.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 24.8
Fuggles 4.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 6.4

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 2.000 tsp 15.000 min
Canned Pumpkin Other Boil 5.000 lb 15.000 min
Allspice, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Ginger, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Nutmeg, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Cinnamon, ground Spice Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

I'm not sure about the quantity of pumpkin - I assume that one large can is what I'm going for? Or is it two? or what? Libbey canned pumpkin and canned pumpkin filling (w/ spices, etc) is available year round in the right grocery stores in Utah. We're deadly serious about pie around here.

Right now I have 1 large can of libbey pumpkin, but i can get more of small or large cans any time i like.

Edit: Having actually read the side of the damn can, I see that it holds 1 pound 13 ounces. I'm going to need a few more of these, aren't i?

OK, did some more math, bothered to set up the mash in brewtarget, bought ingredients, here is what i am tentatively brewing sunday morning. If I'm smart enough to be heating up my strike water by like 8am.

(except that i ended up with 30L instead of 40L caramel, because that was what the LHBS had on the "American" shelf. The only import malt i am using in this brew is the brown malt (english))

Pumpkin Porter - Robust Porter
Batch Size: 5.407 gal
Boil Size: 6.718 gal
Boil Time: 90.000 min
Efficiency: 75%%
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%%
Bitterness: 25.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 28 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.750 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 40 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72%% 120 L
Brown Malt (British Chocolate) Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 70%% 65 L
Munich Malt Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 80%% 9 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 60%% 350 L
Total grain: 13.250 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
East Kent Goldings 4.8%% 1.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 21.2
Fuggles 3.6%% 0.750 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.9

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 2.000 tsp 15.000 min
Canned Pumpkin Other Boil 5.437 lb 15.000 min
Allspice, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Ginger, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Nutmeg, ground Spice Boil 0.500 tsp 15.000 min
Cinnamon, ground Spice Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
1st Infusion 6.000 gal 171.065 F 155.000 F 60.000 min
2nd Infusion 2.500 gal 182.447 F 158.000 F 30.000 min

According to the nutrition label on the cans, and some math, adding this much pumpkin to the boil adds 2.85 ounces of sugar. much of which may not be fermentable, or at least might not get fermented. i don't think it will throw off calculations much, except that all the other crud in the pumpkin will throw off hydro and refracto readings.

Brewed the porter today. Had a fine brew day on the porch with a storm brewing as well.

1st infusion was short by a gallon. oops. need to put marks on the HLT. Made it up in the 2nd. Mash temps were also a touch lower than i had planned but it basically worked out anyway.

ended up boiling the 1st runnings for 45 minutes before the 2nd were ready, volume ended up low by about a quart and a half. Found another quart lurking in the mash tun and will probably bring it to a boil in the microwave, throw some tinfoil over it until it cools, and then funnel it into the fermenter.

I've got a 5cf reach-in cooler i bought the other day for $35 *delivered that seems to hold steady at 60f way on the end of it's control dial, so I'm trying that as a fermentation vessel.

Pretty much made the numbers predicted by brewtarget. OG is actually closer to 1.066.

Used dry galangal instead of dry ginger, because somehow i can run out of ginger and not notice but I've got galangal, which is a close relative.

Smelled great. Gonna let it sit in primary for a month and then rack to a keg and let it condition until Halloween.

This looks so amazing...I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks guys for all the work you've put into this!

Revvy mentions at one point that he didn't have an carapills for head retention.

Would you still go with the original recipe? Or would you add the carapills? If you'd add it, how much?

Also, to do a 10g batch, would you just double everything, right?

Curious about using pumpkin. Looking to brew a pumpkin porter. Curious as to how much pumpkin to use (canned that it) and when to use it. Has anyone mashed the pumpkin? Or only in the boil? Looking for a 5 gallon batch.... and hoping to do it in january 2013

So I see you have a total of 3 recipes on the first post. The Partigyle Base and the 2 runs of porter. In your opinion which of the porters came out the best. I'll be making something similar but with a change up on the grain bill and hops so I was curious.

So I see you have a total of 3 recipes on the first post. The Partigyle Base and the 2 runs of porter. In your opinion which of the porters came out the best. I'll be making something similar but with a change up on the grain bill and hops so I was curious.

What was the date on this thread? 7years ago....I can't remember what I had for lunch 2 days ago let alone lord knows how many brews ago. Sorry, can't help you with which was better. :mug:

Back