Wasted Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwynclan

Reaction score
Alright I finally got my system set up and it looks like I am going to have about 3/4 gallon of liquid left in my keggle MLT. Is this normal for this set up. I am using a tee and a SS hose style filter in a circle . And have it almost touching the bottom of my keggle on a 45 deg. angle with a union. I haven't brewed in this yet just filled with clean water. Don't want to waste precious wort

I would greatly appreciate any advice. I know I will have some waste.

:eek:

3/4 sounds about right depending on what you're using for drainage in your keggle. I get about 1/2 gallon, but I have a VERY good homemade diptube in my keggle that sucks almost every last drop out.

As long as you are sparging in some way you will have already washed most of the sugars off your grains. The wort left in the dead space will be low gravity. Learn your system and don't worry too much at first. You can adjust your grain bill later on to make up for the dead space if needed.

saving the wort left in the dead space??... Would you like to share how you make dead space not dead space?

Back