Free 3M home water test kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but it's better than what the hacks at the water department here will give me!

No, but it's better than what the hacks at the water department here will give me!

Ahhhh.

Try calling the actual municiple lab ro even the treatment plant. I just told mine I was a brewer and I get Monthly spreadsheet email based chemical analysis. Every parameter they use to treat the water by pre and post treatment. It's rocks and rocks.

Wow. I've stopped in and emailed, and the MOST I got was a 'customer confidence report'. When I asked further, they said "that's all we know".

Our water is VERY hard.

Yeah. I got the same when I dealt only with the water department. All they care about is that you've paid your bill.

Gotta go straight to the source. The lab or the treatment plant.

A coworker who is big into saltwater tanks sent me this link:

http://www.3mcleanerworld.com/Content/TestWater.jsp?bmUID=1267693239421

Just some basic info to give them (home address, email) and this will (hopefully) come your way. It says it "Tests for Total Chlorine, Free Chlorine, Iron, pH, Total Alkalinity & Total Hardness".

Why not? :mug:

I might try it just to see if the alkalinity of my water at the tap matches what the municipality tells me it is. Thanks for the link!!!

Wow. I've stopped in and emailed, and the MOST I got was a 'customer confidence report'. When I asked further, they said "that's all we know".

Our water is VERY hard.

Talkin' to the wrong people. If you get the right people, they tend to be very helpful. I called in and they gave me what I asked for. A more charming member of my homebrew club called and ended up talking the guy into coming to a meeting to give a presentation.

I may have to give this a shot. I have a well so there is nobody that I can just get a report from. At least this will be a start.

FYI I got this email today from 3M:

Thank you for your interest in 3M Clean Water Solutions Products.

Unfortunately, we are not yet available in all areas and your address falls in an area that we are not yet able to support.

Our current areas of availability are:

Chicago, IL
Manchester, NH
New Haven, CT
Charleston, SC
Waco, TX
San Antonio, TX
Omaha, NE
Orange County, CA
Portland, OR
Spokane, WA
Boulder, CO
Washington DC/Northern Virginia Area

Please accept our apologies and please note that as our program grows we would like the opportunity to work with you on your water concerns.

I got that same email. Bummer. Wish they'd have mentioned that on their site prior to me giving them their email address and posting that information here!

Yeah, it lists like 10 major cities/counties at the bottom of the page and you can only get the 3m test if you live there. I don't live in a huge city or anything, but I was able to find a water quality report on the website of my local water district. I guess most cities nowadays would have something like that on their sites.

I signed up for a kit and it looks as though they are going to send the kit and I dont live in any of the cities listed.....maybe just luck of the draw.

Many water treatment salesmen will do a free water sample. We had one done when we first built our house, after the well was in.

I just found it last year (after realizing I needed to adjust my almost mineral free water). However, it didn't have what I needed. Total alkalinity, pH, and were some the main things, as the vendor sells stuff to correct those. But all the other stuff one needs to know to balance wasn't listed. So I sent away to the place listed on HBT alot. Cheap, fast, and all the right tests. It was simple after that to adjust my water using the TH spreadsheet.

Latest posts

Back