Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gator Beverage has taken the lead as far as beer selection in Gainesville goes. They even have a very helpful employee now (dark haired, bearded guy), unlike the rest who act like you're ruining their day if dare to open your mouth, even if just to say "hi".

Knightly Spirits on Hiawassee Rd. in Orlando is still by far the best beer store in central Florida that I have come across.
That would be James at Gator Beverage, really nice guy.

Yup, Dorn's is to the left of Fresh Market. Kind of tucked into a corner. They seem to have a lot of cheese, too. I could see the store from my house if it weren't for these Jamaicans.

If you see a scrawny kid with short curly hair, that's my step brother.

I know there's extra dark crystal at the shop, and a container marked summit, but how much is in there i do not remember.
Whatcha makin?

Made it to Dorn's on my lunch hour today. Picked up some Dead Guy and six pack of various and sundry brews. Geez, a bottle of Hofbrau Hefe Weisen was $3.42:eek: It had better be good!:mug:

Made it to Dorn's on my lunch hour today. Picked up some Dead Guy and six pack of various and sundry brews. Geez, a bottle of Hofbrau Hefe Weisen was $3.42:eek: It had better be good!:mug:

hofbrau hefe is not even in the top 5 list of my favorite hefes...

but hey to each his own!

For sure on the dark crystals. Which do you need.

Not sure on the Summit. I'm probably gonna swing by there tonight, I'll remember to check. I gotta see if we have any Perle.

I'm planning on brewing Saturday, but the weather doesn't look so good. Wonder if my porch is deep enough to keep me dry.

i thought there was only one but that name but it is 160L.

didn't see any summit at the shop. I know we have C150. Might have some 160L.

I wanna saw we have 165L. I'll be stopping by tomorrow night to get my grain bill together for Saturday's brewing. I'll try my best to remember to look.

Matt, did your Altbier this Saturday, my first all grain. Came out pretty good, I was satisfied with the 1.06 OG, but did have to add a little water to make 5 gallons.

Tried out my new immersion chiller, it worked great and an electric brew kettle that will become my HLT. 5500 watt element in 24 qt. al. pot. Boils in 18 minutes!

Elmetal, your right. Hofbrau Hefe sucks.

Matt, did your Altbier this Saturday, my first all grain. Came out pretty good, I was satisfied with the 1.06 OG, but did have to add a little water to make 5 gallons.

Tried out my new immersion chiller, it worked great and an electric brew kettle that will become my HLT. 5500 watt element in 24 qt. al. pot. Boils in 18 minutes!

Elmetal, your right. Hofbrau Hefe sucks.

Did you have the element just running at 100% the whole time?

Brewed up a simple pale ale yesterday with all WGV (Whitbread Golding Variety) hops.

8lb Marris Otter
1lb Munich
6oz Crystal 80
1.058 gravity (84% efficiency)
[WGV Hops - 6 aa%]
1oz @ 60
1oz @ transfer to no-chill cube (acts as a 20 min addition)
2oz @ dry
US-05

Just bottled my aborted Abbey SMaSH. The S-33 finished at 1.026, the Koelsch at 1.018. Eight bottles of each. Will be interesting to see how they taste once carbonated.

Tuesday or Wednesday I'll make a 2-l starter to prep for my big Belgian Dark Strong brew next weekend. Really looking forward to this one!

True. I had my rugrats with me yesterday but we should totally plan a 50+ gal brewday.

It would be sorta cool for everone to use the same grainbill and hops, but vary their yeasts/temps/mashes etc and see how the beers turn out. Big collaborative experiments are all the rage these days.

i brewed on friday. i was going to suggest a brew day but the rain scared me.

ya, scared me, too. by the time I got everything together it had stopped raining. I'm serious, we should plan a huge brew at the shop one Saturday. Advertise it, let anyone come brew that wants to.

looks like I'm gonna be throwing some amalyse in my Bell's Two Hearted Clone. Sitting at 1.022 right now. Too damn cold in my house. Beer's at 58F right now. Plus I used S04 on a 1.064 beer. Dumb.

Chris, no controller on the HW element. In fact, since I don't have an outside 240 VAC outlet, I ran it off my 7500 watt generator. Man that thing really boils! Once my Premium Support account is activated, I will post some pics and vids.

Gets the strike water up to temp in no time.

we should plan a huge brew at the shop one Saturday.

I'm free the 13th or the 27th (of this month). We can it "Mash Madness."

Plus I used S04 on a 1.064 beer.

Hmm biggest beer I did with S-04 was 1.068 or so, but it came down under 1.020 without problems. I think it finished near 1.017 or so. It did have about half a pound of unrefined sugar in it though.

Any of you want to split a sack of Weyermann Wheat malt with me? It's $57 plus tax through the Shoppe for 55 lbs if I am not mistaken.

Here's the recipe I've been dreaming up for a red IPA the last couple of days. I fell asleep thinking about it, then drew it up at work.

1.065 SG
1.016 Estimated FG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.49 %
Bitterness: 65.8 IBU
Est Color: 15.9 SRM

63 minute boil.

13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L

0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (27 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (24 min) Hops 5.7 IBU

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (17 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (14 min) Hops 8.5 IBU

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (7 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (4 min) Hops 5.9 IBU

Dry Hop with Amarillo, Centennial and a touch of Chinook.

White Labs #WLP007

Might brew this Sunday.

I'd also be up for splitting a bag of Munich and Vienna between myself and 1-2 other people (e.g. 27.5 or 18.3 lbs each). I believe they are the same price as the other Weyermann malts. Let me know if interested, please.

I'd be interested in some Vienna.

Half or a third of a bag? If half, I'll just pay for the bag of wheat and you can pay for the Vienna. That way we'll be even.

_________

Anyone else for 18 lbs of Munich for like $20+ change?

Latest posts

Back