Porter was good, now tastes like cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgraham

Reaction score
I recently brewed a porter kit purchased from a LHBS. It was an extract + grain kit ... very easy, right? Brewed up & fermented beautifully, bottled it, tasted it in a couple weeks - not bad. A week or so later take a bunch of it to a family picnic - excellent reviews. Hand a few 6-packs out ... my brother says now that the beer's aged a few more weeks it tastes like cider.

Sure enough I pop one open, smells cidery, tastes funky and sweet, seems to be some extra carbonation in there ...

Any ideas what I've done wrong? I'm VERY into sanitization (Iodophor) and followed my hydrometer readings ... I dont' understand why the beer was so good at first, and then so quickly went bad.

Thanks for any advice you can give me ...

Just bottled: Scottish Heather Ale - YUM

Was it stored cold?How old was it? If not than it went sour on ya.. :eek:If the ladder was the case you need too drink it up faster. ;)

well, it was all stored in a dark closet for a while although I admit it got kinda warm in that closet. The stuff I took to the picnic was from that closet, and tasted fine that day. Everyone has taken their 6-packs home and refrigerated them, now tastes like cider. I've still got a half-case left in my basement now (we have since moved and I have a WINE (beer) cellar!!) so maybe I'll try a couple more and see what happens. A friend had one a couple weeks ago, didn't complain ... even asked for a 2nd so ...

WEIRD ... maybe I have gremlins.

Latest posts

Back