May have made a mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris2307

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to home brewing and am currently on my second brew so still using the basic methods until I can learn more about it and start experimenting.

During my previous batch, I siphoned the beer out from the primary fermenter in to a pressure barrel on day 5. This was what the instructions told me. The batch came out okay, it was drinkable and quite pleasant.

Today, I repeated the same stage, siphoning off the liquid from the fermenting bucket to the pressure barrel. It has also been 5 days (I started it this time last Sunday). However, this time, I noticed half way through siphoning that there were still some bubbles coming to the surface so I then knew the fermentation hadn't stopped.

Now, I know I should have been really careful and there is no excuse for not seeing this before I started siphoning. I am not sure why I didn't check (Mixture of excitement, tiredness, lack of experience I imagine!)

Anyway, my question is this, do you think it will be okay? I had a quick read of the forums and people are saying they like to leave their liquid in the primary fermenter for up to three or four weeks!

I just wanted my beer ready in time for xmas! :(

Chris

CO2 gets trapped in the yeast cake, and very well could have been what you were seeing.
But 5 days really isn't enough time to really get it done well. Major fermentation is most likely over in about that time, but if you give it longer the yeast go back and eat up the things they created while eating the sugars. This is what makes the beer taste better. The things they created aren't great.

Bubbles only indicate that gas is being exchanged. Gravity readings are the only way to determine if fermentation is still going on or complete.

Okay, thank you. Your reply suggests it won't be a total disaster!

I am also left feeling quite optimistic for my third brew because if my first brew tasted nice to me, then taking on board these tips will make the third taste even nicer!

The trouble I have is that I use a plastic bucket for my primary fermentation. I cannot see inside which is a pain as I cannot asses whether it is fermenting or not. I am also reluctant to open the lid because I have been told that this can make the beer taste vinegary. Which is why I have just been leaving it 5 days and going to the pressure barrel with fingers crossed!

I'm not sure what your kit consists of but keep researching. You will find that there are many ways to achieve good results.

My main suggestion is to get a hydrometer, learn how and when to use it and progress beyond the simple kits that give the most simplified (and often wrong or misleading) instructions.

5 days of primary fermentation is often way to short. I have had many beers that didn't finish until around 10 days.

Yes, after Christmas, I intend to get some better kit. The pressure barrel is fine but the primary fermenter isn't.

Cheers for the replies, I will just keep my fingers crossed that this batch comes out OK (As my last batch did)

Seeing it won't tell you if it's done either. As has been stated the only way to know is to take a hydrometer reading.

I give my wheat beers 2-3 weeks to ferment and these work fast. Others I give 3-4 weeks.

Seeing it won't tell you if it's done either. As has been stated the only way to know is to take a hydrometer reading.

I give my wheat beers 2-3 weeks to ferment and these work fast. Others I give 3-4 weeks.

If your lucky and its fermented out atleast 3/4 of the sugars you might have just carbed your batch without additional sugars. Keeping the keg sealed and having the yeast eat threw the last 1/4 of sugars will leave you with a decent amount of pressure that will finish up and carb the batch without additional co2.

This is how some of the German breweries do it i think. They recirculate the spent co2 from fermentation and use the same gas to carb there batches. Some Reinheitsgebot rule of purity mumbo jumbo.

Like others have stated. You should check gravity and Since its already racked, leave it in the keg for another 2 weeks before chilling to serve

Back