A great simple recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco03

Reaction score
So I've made this 3 times now and I just love the flavor, and high alcohol.

5 gallons apple juice (pasteurized)
2 cans of apple juice concentrate
24 oz of light brown sugar
Wyeast cider yeast
1-2 cinnamon sticks

I melt the sugar into the concentrate and bring it up to 180 degrees. Dump the juice and the sugar/concentrate into the fermenter. Stir it all together, top with the yeast. Usual o.g.-1.070. Usual f.g.- 1.002. Transfer to a secondary, a week before I keg I drop in the cinnamon sticks. A week later I transfer to a keg. Carb it up and enjoy!

Edit: I've used UV pasteurized from a cider mill and the Costco unfiltered "natural" cider, both came out great.

What's the taste like? Does it retain any of the sweetness or is it dry? Any commercial comparables? I have the wyeast cider yeast in the mail as we speak and I am looking for a cider recipe. Your looks good. Did you crash the fermentation or let it go? Have you tried bottling it?

diptherunner said:
What's the taste like? Does it retain any of the sweetness or is it dry? Any commercial comparables? I have the wyeast cider yeast in the mail as we speak and I am looking for a cider recipe. Your looks good. Did you crash the fermentation or let it go? Have you tried bottling it?

It's dry and has a nice apple cinnamon taste with some warmth from the alcohol @ 8.75%. I recently had a comparable cider but I just can't seem I remember its name. It was one I wasn't familiar with. I didn't crash it, I let it ferment all the way out as I don't like sweet cider as much as dry cider. I've never bottled it using this yeast. I bottled an earlier version that used champagne yeast, but didn't like the flavor the yeast imparted. If I can remember that cider I'll post it for you.

Thanks! I Appreciate all the help. It seems pretty straight forward. I wonder if I can dial the abv (gasp) back by reducing the apple concentrate. That way i could have a few, and SWMBO will be happy. Have you ever tried adding 1 gallon of pear or other juice to this?

diptherunner said:
Thanks! I Appreciate all the help. It seems pretty straight forward. I wonder if I can dial the abv (gasp) back by reducing the apple concentrate. That way i could have a few, and SWMBO will be happy. Have you ever tried adding 1 gallon of pear or other juice to this?

I would lose some of the brown sugar first. The apple concentrate helps keep an apple flavor. I've never added pear just but I plan on it soon. Oh, and remembered the name of the cider- its by Vandermils. It's a small company out of western Michigan. It was a little sweeter then mine but it had the same "twang"

http://www.vandermill.com/hardcidermill.html

k00k said:
Can you give us an idea as to the length of time the various stages (first ferment, rack, keg) took?

2 weeks primary
1 week is minimum in the secondary. Better is a couple months and then toss in the cinnamon sticks a week before kegging.
Keg and carb

Ya it shouldn't be a problem. Either prime with corn sugar or applejuice concentrate. Highly recommend corn sugar. Yeast should be still active enough to carb. Add 3/4cup corn sugar to two cups water to prime bottling bucket. Bottle and check them every day or so till you find a good carb. Then stovetop pasteurize (there is a thread for it). Read that thread thoroughly. Its an easy process but can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

I really don't think the stove pasteurizing is necessary. The cider is fully fermented out and you're only adding enough sugar to carb not to back sweeten. Bottle bombs are always a rare possibility but no more then a regular beer.

Have you tried this with an already spiced cider? (Minus the cinnamon sticks) I was thinking of trying to make a cider with Trader Joe's spiced cider for the holiday season and this looks like a great starter recipe for that. I would imagine that it would fit right in as long as both juices OG are the same. Did you happen to check that before mixing this all together?

I would caution you that everything I've read about using spices before the primary ferment says not to. Usually it's claimed that it leads to off flavors. I did not check the gravity of the juice itself.

OK I didn't do any research as far as that's concerned so thanks for the heads up. I'm trying this with some unfiltered non-concentrated cider and some concentrated cans. THANKS!

I started this 2 weeks ago and used Ryan's unfiltered cider. The cider itself was about 1.052 gravity but after adding everything I ended up with an OG of about 1.063. I just racked to a secondary on Saturday and had about a 1.022 gravity. I probably could have let it primary ferment another week but the taste was pretty good already and was still about 6% ABV. Letting it rack ferment for 3-4 weeks before I keg. So far I'm impressed with this easy recipe.

This sounds great - I've been looking for a solid and relatively easy cider to brew up with a new abv..and this fit perfect! How much of the cinnamon came through? Do you think adding an extra stick would still be good?

Just did this exact recipe using motts apple juice and 30oz of light brown sugar. I'm OG was 1.060. Shouldn't it by higher?

Edit - I mixed it more thoroughly and ended up with a OG of 1.070.

TomTwanks said:
This sounds great - I've been looking for a solid and relatively easy cider to brew up with a new abv..and this fit perfect! How much of the cinnamon came through? Do you think adding an extra stick would still be good?

I think it could definitely take another stick or two. I tend to ere on the side of caution and then work up. This recipe is really only a base. Jam some extra sticks in the secondary and as soon as she is right rack it.

what would be the best way to up the OG to 1.08 to get around a 10% ABV.
would doubling the brown sugar be enough.
what is the most ABV this yeast can handle?

For that high of ABV, I would say it could be done with double the brown sugar, and possibly an extra can of concentrate. Or double the concentrate and do 1.5 times the brown sugar. Doing that, and getting 2 packets of yeast, and making a yeast starter, may help.

can i use a Champagne yeast with this or would it have a negative effect on the flavor.
if i use a champagne yeast would i need a started for a higher OG like 1.08
just asking because i have some on hand.

surtur said:
can i use a Champagne yeast with this or would it have a negative effect on the flavor.

I used champagne yeast the first time I made this recipe. You'll want to let it age for awhile on the bottle. The champagne yeast will impart a strong flavor that needs to mellow for awhile. I called that first batch "Hillbilly Bubbley". The OG doesn't need to be adjusted.

ok i am trying it with the Champagne yeast.
decided to go with my original plan and upped the sugar content.
should be some apple hooch .
20Liters Apple juice
6 cans concentrate
2.2lbs (1 KG) brown sugar
1 pound regular sugar.
OG.1.082

she is bubbling away right now.
should be interesting.

when adding the cinnamon sticks do you just drop them in or boil them in water/apple juice then dump them in?

Update to this.

Fricken awesome, used wlp775 (English cider). Used 4 cinnamon stick. Turned out dry, full of apple and cinnamon flavors, and delicious! Very happy with this recipe!!!

surtur said:
ok i am trying it with the Champagne yeast.
decided to go with my original plan and upped the sugar content.
should be some apple hooch .
20Liters Apple juice
6 cans concentrate
2.2lbs (1 KG) brown sugar
1 pound regular sugar.
OG.1.082

she is bubbling away right now.
should be interesting.

when adding the cinnamon sticks do you just drop them in or boil them in water/apple juice then dump them in?

I've always just dropped them on the secondary and relied on the higher alcohol to win. That being said I'm sure someone here would and should disagree with me. I would entertain a couple second dunk in Starsan.

wmubronco03 said:
I would caution you that everything I've read about using spices before the primary ferment says not to. Usually it's claimed that it leads to off flavors. I did not check the gravity of the juice itself.

I agree. I made a 5 gal batch of Apfelwein and added 2 tubes of cinnamon sticks. The cinnamon is great but its almost (very lightly) like there is a woody, bark like taste. Don't get me wrong it's great but I don't think I'll as much cinnamon next time. Maybe an extract ... ...

surtur said:

Actually I use Nottingham. No off flavors and fine carb

I started this 2 weeks ago and used Ryan's unfiltered cider. The cider itself was about 1.052 gravity but after adding everything I ended up with an OG of about 1.063. I just racked to a secondary on Saturday and had about a 1.022 gravity. I probably could have let it primary ferment another week but the taste was pretty good already and was still about 6% ABV. Letting it rack ferment for 3-4 weeks before I keg. So far I'm impressed with this easy recipe.

Fricken awesome, used wlp775 (English cider). Used 4 cinnamon stick. Turned out dry, full of apple and cinnamon flavors, and delicious! Very happy with this recipe!!!

I was pretty happy with it as well, and got lots of "this is good!" compliments. I used 5 sticks of cinnamon and some people say they tasted it and other say they couldn't. I personally could. It was a bit tart for my liking, but definitely palatable, and strong! I think I may have gotten the OG wrong,possibly a stirring issue. We tried to back sweeten it using a small sample and some brown sugar, but didn't end up liking it as well as the original. All in all, very nice recipe, and pretty easy.

I'm glad people like this recipe. It's so easy and I think it's tasty as all hell. I'm about to try a lower ABV variation on it that will include aging about 3 months then back sweetening with honey and mint. More and more people are going gluten/grain free and struggle to find a drink that they like. Cider is the answer.

This sounds like a really easy way to get into making cider. I'm going to try this as my first. I will probably omit the sugar though to bring down the ABV some. Will it still get down to 1.002? Does brown sugar add much flavor in the final product that I would be missing out on?

Robin0782 said:
This sounds like a really easy way to get into making cider. I'm going to try this as my first. I will probably omit the sugar though to bring down the ABV some. Will it still get down to 1.002? Does brown sugar add much flavor in the final product that I would be missing out on?

The brown sugar does add some residual flavor but I think it should be fine without, I omitted it in my current batch so I guess I'll be finding out fry self soon enough. The Wyeast cider yeast will still finish out dry no matter where it starts. Without some of the residual unfermentable sugars from the brown sugar I would say it might get even drier. Enjoy and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the reply. Being used to 5-6 hour days all-grain brewing, this is going to feel way too easy! I love making beer, but sometimes I just don't feel like it!

I feel the same way. I'm just too busy right now and I'm still sung by a bad batch. It's been a nice break.

I decided to just do a 1 gallon test batch using some S-04 ale yeast I had on hand. Looking around the forums it sounded like a good choice for me, since I don't really care for wine flavors, more of a beer person. Plus I already had a packet in the fridge that I didn't know what to do with. I used 1/3 of the brown sugar from the original recipe, scaled down. OG seems kinda low at 1.052. But, that actually suits me if it's correct. I did swirl the jug around pretty good, so it should be. Should end up around 6.5% ABV if it ferments to 1.002 which is perfect.

Just a thought but aren't ciders typically higher in ABV. Is that why we make them? Or is it really for something else to make in place of beer.

richlong8020 said:
Just a thought but aren't ciders typically higher in ABV. Is that why we make them? Or is it really for something else to make in place of beer.

I would say that there is a wide variety in ABV. And as far as something to make in place of beer I would point out that a lot of people only make wine and cider. We make them because we like them and because historically barley and hops weren't always available. It was a way of preserving a crop before it rotted and of giving people something to drink in areas with bad water.

I'm thinking about trying a simple cider recipe similar to the one here, but trying a Czech Pils yeast. Good or bad idea? Why?

Ya it shouldn't be a problem. Either prime with corn sugar or applejuice concentrate. Highly recommend corn sugar. Yeast should be still active enough to carb. Add 3/4cup corn sugar to two cups water to prime bottling bucket. Bottle and check them every day or so till you find a good carb. Then stovetop pasteurize (there is a thread for it). Read that thread thoroughly. Its an easy process but can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

I'm still a total n00b at brewing, but 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar seems like a sure fire way to get bottle bombs. I've only ever used a few oz of sugar to carb. Has anyone else actually bottled this? How much sugar did you use?

I'm thinking about trying a simple cider recipe similar to the one here, but trying a Czech Pils yeast. Good or bad idea? Why?

I would just make sure you know the flavor tendencies of the yeast are, Im doing this recipe this week with Red Star Côte de Blanc because I want it a little on the sweeter side.

sirpilsofd said:
I'm still a total n00b at brewing, but 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar seems like a sure fire way to get bottle bombs. I've only ever used a few oz of sugar to carb. Has anyone else actually bottled this? How much sugar did you use?

3/4 cup of corn sugar is the standard way to bottle 5 gallons of Homebrew. It really isn't much when you spread it out over 5 gallons. It's only 4oz.

Back