Boil Keggle recirculate/return location.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put mine in the top skirt of the keg, elbow it down and elbow it again to create a whirlpool the actual output is at the 3 gallon mark. Reason being is I use the cam lock fittings, and was too cheap to get another ball valve to close the port when the quick connect was disconnected. Its also nice because I recirculate my mash so the recirculation port is at the same height, no slack in the hose.

I have mine at the 5g mark that way it is just below the surface for a 6g batch and not too low for when I make a 12g batch. I did have to put another ball valve on there. My whirlpool tube is adjustable as I used two silicone o-rings for the compression fitting instead of a stainless ferrule.

I put mine at the top with a cam lock QD and no valve. On the inside I have a 90 with a piece of pipe bent to keep the flow to the side of the keg. I don't have it soldered where the street elbow fits into the adapter at the coupler but it's a tight fit which allows me to adjust the flow up or down when I install it. Prob don't really need the adjustment and I prob keep it in the same spot but it works well for whatever batch size I'm doing.

Yeah, I am wanting to do 6 gallon boils and 12 gallon boils. And I don't want to regret where I place it. Still pondering on this...

Well, place it down where your 4 gallon mark or lower. It won't affect your 12 gallon boils. I dropped mine down really low because back when I built it there was a lot of talk of hot side aeration, and I also pimp my mash liquid through the same fitting, so I didn't want it to splash.

Yeah, I am wanting to do 6 gallon boils and 12 gallon boils. And I don't want to regret where I place it. Still pondering on this...

You don't have to make regretting decision, simply drill it in center (or at top) of keg and adjust return arm with elbow and copper pipe:

p7170313.jpg

p3160297.jpg

diS has the right idea, you want the inlet near the bottom to create a proper whirlpool.

Latest posts

Back