Now for something completely different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitlumpkin

Reaction score
I read many threads in the Ferm/Yeast forum about the worries of the yeast stalling, etc. I just wanted to share my quick story about my latest brew, an American IPA. Its actually the opposite of the usual, "why did my fermentation stop" thread.

On Saturday 1/7/12 I brewed this IPA (OG ~1.068) in the afternoon and pitched the yeast around 7PM. It was a Wyeast smackpack of 1056 american ale. I left it in the primary (bucket) in my 60 degree basement until 1/17/12. My plan was to put it in secondary (glass carboy) to hopefully produce a more clear brew. I typically just do primary with ales, but this had a lot more pellet hops than the amber I did a few weeks earlier so I was experimenting a little.

Upon opening the bucket there was still a fairly thick krausen and much was stuck to the sides of the bucket. I checked the gravity (~1.020) and transferred it to the glass at around 9PM on 1/17/12 leaving a fair amount trub in the bottom, but ultimately I was not being too anal b/c I knew I wanted to bring some of that good stuff into the secondary. I put it back in the 60 degree basement and at 8AM before I left for work I went back downstairs to find this:

de0ce71b.jpg

Through this morning it is still going strong. Although longwinded, there is hope out there for you fellas whose yeast don't seem to be cooperating. Wyest 1056 smackpacks seem to enjoy 60 degrees just fine.

I concur. I think the original stalled a bit. Maybe check the gravity before transferring next time? I did the same thing with my last two beers. The ferm chamber controller was set improperly and the temp dropped. I transferred into secondary and it still had a ways to go. If I had known, I would have left them in the primary to finish up.

I believe its beyond saving....you ruined it....ship it to Montana...i'll get rid of it for ya. :)

Latest posts

Back