Banana Split Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtcass23

Reaction score
This is my first shot at my own recipe for a dunkelweizen. Going for something sweet with a lot of flavor. Please give me some feedback as to how this recipe looks and if I should change anything. Thanks in advance.

Extracts:
3 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract (DME)
3.3 lbs Wheat Malt Extract (LME)
Grains:
1 lb Munich Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz American 2-Row
8 oz Special B
8 oz Honey Malt
Hops:
1 oz Mt. Hood
1 oz Tetnanger
Yeast:
Wyeast 3068
Additional Ingredients:
.5 oz Vanilla Extract
.5 oz Chocolate Extract
.5 oz Banana Extract
Prime:
375ml Banana Rum and ¼ cup Brown Sugar

Instructions:
Steep grains for 30 minutes in 2.5 gals of 150-165 degree water
Bring water to a gentle boil and add LME and DME
Return water to a gentle boil and add Mt. Hood hops at 60 minute mark
Add ½ oz Tetnanger hops at the 15 minute mark
Add ½ oz Tetnanger hops at the 5 minute mark
Add vanilla, chocolate, and banana extracts at flame out
Chill wort, pour into primary fermenter, fill to 5 gal mark

Did you make it? If so, how did it turn out? There’s lots going on there and it sounds interesting. I’ve only brewed about 40 gallons of (AG) dunkelwizen so I’m no expert on ingredients (and have so far kept my ingredients simple to get a feel/taste for them) but…

I’ve been thinking about putting some chocolate nibs in my go to dunkelweizen recipe and maybe even adding some vanilla or cold-pressed coffee (I guess I’m kinda after a dunkelweizen with a hint of chocolate/coffee/vanilla), but of course most here would now argue that it is no longer a traditional dunkelweizen and should be called a dark wheat beer with flavorings… Meh!

My concern is that unless you know your ingredients really well, it might be a little difficult to figure out the culprit if the taste isn’t what you were expecting. My feeling is start simple and slowly tweak it over time… but again, I’m no expert on ingredients.

Post again with results, I’m curious. :mug:

My CocoNaNilla Dunkelweizen just scored a 37 in our local comp. The only grains I used were Pilsner, Wheat malt, and Carafa Special II. I fermented with WLP300 at around 70F to bring out the banana esters (worked great), then after about a week in primary I added 4 oz cacao nibs and 2 vanilla beans (split, scraped).

Back