Health Insurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What health insurance provider do you have, how much do you pay per month (if any) and have you had problems with them?

United Health Care......

I used to hate them with my old company, was paying $100/month just for myself. Now I'm under $80, still with them, and I have a $150 spending account for co-pays (included in the plan I guess) and everything seems to be cheaper.

I did go from big huge corporate company to small business...so maybe it's that? I used to have Blue Cross Blue Shield (back in the day), and I was happier with them, but now, I really like UHC. It has to be the difference in plans.

Cigna. Free for me, $25/month covers the rest of my family. My employer is extremely generous with this benefit, and our plan covers darn near everything, with very little out-of-pocket. No complaints about Cigna...they seem pretty good at getting all the claims and stuff right.

Aetna, $97 (plus Co-pays) covers me and my son. I don't know how I feel about them yet, i just switched from Lumenos, where I only paid $90 (no Co-pay) a month and nothing out of pocket pretty much. I really like them and they had great customer service too. I just switched companies and had to go with Aetna so we'll see how they work out.

Cheers

As someone who works in privatized healthcare and discusess this stuff daily, I can tell all of you that when you're discussing insurance, ask if the plan is Fully Insured or Self-Insured.

A Self-Insured policy offers employers more control over where they can send their patients. For example, out of the three hospitals my company owns, only one of them will take Blue Cross Fully Insured.

If you're buying healthcare on your own, then you have less choice in the matter.

Also, the extra money you pay for a PPO is worth it.

I have mine with Mega through NASE(National Association of the Self Employed) I can go to pretty much any Dr and any hospital. Low copays, flex spending account for the copays and a couple hundred other things that I didn't pay attention to... My policy is $211/month including dental and vision

The NASE membership is pretty cool too if you're self employed. They give you $200/day cash if you have to stay in the hospital and $500/month if you're out of work due to injury or illness. They also give a bunch of other discounts on day to day stuff that can save you some cash as well

cnbudz said:
I have mine with Mega through NASE(National Association of the Self Employed) I can go to pretty much any Dr and any hospital. Low copays, flex spending account for the copays and a couple hundred other things that I didn't pay attention to... My policy is $211/month including dental and vision

The NASE membership is pretty cool too if you're self employed. They give you $200/day cash if you have to stay in the hospital and $500/month if you're out of work due to injury or illness. They also give a bunch of other discounts on day to day stuff that can save you some cash as well

Interesting. Did you buy it through them directly or through an agent. I'm self employeed and looking for health insurance.

I just got a nice quote from Assurant Health of @$182/mos. for me, wife and kid. Includes $2,000 ded. ($4,000 fam), 20% coins., and is a PPO with other great coverages. I'm happy about this, because it's the best coverage I've found, and is even cheaper than other plans with less coverage. Wondered if it is too good to be true, but the company (which I'd never heard of before--Time Insurance) has an AM Best rating of "A-" (Excellent). My current policy (provided by military) won't expire until October, so I plan on picking up this policy then.
Oh, BTW, the plan my wife's employer was offering was outrageously expensive for the coverages! That's why I decided to shop around for coverage on our own.

don't live in massachusetts where you are required BY LAW to have health insurance. they say it makes the economy better, since everybody has health insurance. but who can afford $200 a month with high premiums? and if you don't have health insurance, they won't renew your drivers license. good deal!

that's why we moved out of that state.

Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was self-insured and paying $125 per month for a PPO as a 28 year old non smoking male.

Then I started working for a company that offered health insurance benefits by Blue Cross Blue Shield. Their rate for a 28 year old non-smoking male for the PPO?

$160 per month. LOL

As a result, I'm still self-insured.

UHC (United Health Care). $272 a mo for the family plan. Self Insured corporation I work for. Ditto with Cheesefood on the PPO. HMO's suck a$$ unless of course you have no health problems. SWMBO has a lot (kidney transplant). I know more about insurance than I care to.

after 30yrs being self employed i finally had to send my wife to work so we could obtain decent insurance at anyhting approaching a reasonable cost. had blue cross at $450 mo for a very high deductible policy w/o dental/vision. 95 mo now with dental vision and ded. that won't make me sell the house if someone gets seriously ill. priced the poicy if i was self employed and it was about $1300 mo. the state of insurance makes me sick to my stomach. the bleedin' government won't even allow you to deduct 100% of the cost......

Lifewise, $260/month, $3000 deductible before they pay anything. Can't address their claims service, I've never exceeded the deductible!

I work for one of the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle so the insurance is pretty good and best of all free. I have a few co-pays, the ER co-pay being the highest @ $75. (ouch)

Tenchiro said:
I work for one of the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle so the insurance is pretty good and best of all free. I have a few co-pays, the ER co-pay being the highest @ $75. (ouch)

Can we get some pics of the swedish nurses? :ban:

Back