Couple of stout questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broncofish

Reaction score
I'm making a stout and I plan on adding vanilla.. I have whole madagascar beans. Here are a few questions
1. How would this benefit from wheat, oats, or both? (I have some extra)
2. Would adding lactose to this as well be too much?
3. Best fermentation cycle for this. Beersmith has OG around 1.75 or close.
4. Dont want to boil beans, what is the best way to add? (soak, split and pitch, etc.)

I know its a loaded post, thanks for the help.

Best fermentation cycle for this. Beersmith has OG around 1.75 or close

I'm guessing 1.075? I don't have any experience with the other questions as it pertains to vanilla, but you sure could throw in some wheat, oats, or lactose to build up a nice body and silky texture.

As to the fermentation profile, what yeast were you thinking about using and do you have fermentation temp control? That will determine a lot in that regard.

split your beans down the middle and scrape the guts into some vodka and let it soak for a few days then pore into the fermenter after most of the fermentation is done and let it sit for a while the alcohol in the vodka acts as a solvant that will take the flavonoids from the bean and put them into solution.
As for the fermentation cycle let it sit in your fermentor for at least three weeks and then bottle or keg should turn out good

Yea don't boil the beans.

I used 1lb flaked oats and 1/4lb flaked wheat in my Extra Stout (along with 2.5lbs of flaked barley). Lactose will add that sweet milk sugar flavor, so that is up to you.

I would primary for 3-4 weeks, then bottle/keg. Ferment around 65, 68 max, for most yeasts you would use in a stout.

American Ale yeast is what I was thinking, something clean. How much vodka do I use? Half cup? Thanks for the replies

+1 to the split and scrape and add to the fermentor. I used to do this in a secondary but I'd say screw it if I did it again.

Fermentation cycle? Just like any ale, the typical process is pitching in the low 60s, letting rise to 68, holding until things slow down, then slowly raising to about 72 until it finishes. It will probably take 10-14 days just to complete the actual fermentation, plus some aging time.

Wheat and oats make for a delicious mouthfeel - a typical amount for these types of grains is about 5-10% in practically any combination.

I'd say leave the lactose out at least until after fermentation. See how you like it first before adding something else.

Back