SMaSH Brewday - MO/Chinook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishkid

Reaction score
I decided to brew up my first SMaSH recipe today and went with Maris Otter and Chinook.

11lbs Maris Otter
3oz Chinook (60/15/0)
Nottingham

Here are a few pics:

Ingedients
batch14-1.jpg

Mash Out water heating up
batch14-2.jpg

Honestly, covering my mash tun with my sleeping bag has made the past few camping trips so much better smelling :mug:
batch14-3.jpg

First Runnings:
batch14-4.jpg

Nice and clean, looking good!
batch14-5.jpg

batch14-6.jpg

I have been having some troubles with my efficiency so I had the LHBS crush the grain a bit finer this time. This is the small stuff that was making it through the false bottom.
batch14-7.jpg

First runnings went well, very well. So I stir in my sparge water, wait a couple of minutes then slowly open the valve on the tun and nothing...so I open it further..nothing still...all the way? nope still nothing coming out..STUCK! So I run downstairs, fill up the compressor, crank the pressure up to 80lbs and give a couple of shots back up the valve and wham, I'm back in action.
batch14-8.jpg

Compressor bit I used
batch14-9.jpg

Runnings where much lighter this time around but still a bit of sediment making it through.
batch14-10.jpg

All wort collected and working on getting up to temp
batch14-11.jpg

10 minutes left in the boil
batch14-12.jpg

My whimpy little turkey fryer
batch14-13.jpg

And after all of the fuss I nailed the OG! 1.054 for an efficiency of 71%. All in all another fun brew, hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Curt

Mine house ale is 12 lbs of Golden promise and 4 oz of Chinooks. I roast 2 lbs of grain for 30 minutes at 350 and I leave on in the oven for a full hour. It comes out like hoppy single malt scotch. I call it Scottish sunrise. Let me know how this turns out sound good so far..

Yellow70cooper

what's your manifold look like?

This is what my setup looks like and the bottom of the false bottom is an open hole right that leads out of the cooler, so anything that can make it around the outside of the false bottom or through the holes in the fb can usually make it through.

Maybe I need to cover the hole with a bit of screen/mesh?

batch7-5.jpg

your FB might be floating a bit... I have seen two solutions to this.... One is rather than using flexible tubing use rigid copper so it cannot float up and replace the fittings with compression (this is what i do), the other one is to cut a circle out of plastic and then bolt it to the bottom of the false bottom, so even if it does float no chunks can get in...

Any word on how this brew turned out? I've been itching to try Chinook in something, and MO is practically a reason to have taste buds.

Any word on how this brew turned out? I've been itching to try Chinook in something, and MO is practically a reason to have taste buds.

I thought the taste was kind of bland and not really my style. Many of the bottles sat for almost a year. This past summer I entered the beer in a competition as 8C (ESB) and it took second place with an average score of 40. FWIW the BJCP judge scored it a 42.

Here's the scoresheet if you want to read the comments. :mug:

Curt

Latest posts

Back